Pump running,very low circulation

You cannot have flow entering the heater but not exiting. That means the heater is leaking water out to someplace else. So if the heater is not leaking, flow in should equal flow out.

Thank you to everyone who replied and gave good ideas for my problem. This site is a great tool to have when owning your own pool and I'm sure I will be a frequent user.

We found the problem......we located a (not so labeled) check valve in the pipe from the filter to the heater and it was bad. I didn't realize there were check valves actually in the pipes and thought they were only the valves on the outside of the pipes to turn water flow on and off. The metal circle that sits on the rubber stopper of the check valve had come off and lodged itself in the pipe therefore reducing flow to the heater and making us think the heater was the problem. The pressure in the pipe made it feel like water was flowing into the heater but not coming out. We didn't think that was possible but who knows when you're a pool newbie.

After 2 weeks of researching and taking things apart the pool is running great at about 13psi and getting heated up and ready to use again(it's indoor for those of you going "what crazy person would be swimming now")

So again thank you so much for all your help!!!!

I'm very glad you found it. :)

Was it the fitting in the piping coming from under the filter near the filter?

I suspected it as being the problem. Sometimes things will get stuck in check valves or the flapper/gate will turn loose and partially block the flow.

Yes it was...I thought it was just a union and really didn't know what you meant by check valve(at the time I was just starting my pool degree :) Last night a friend came over and I walked him through the problems and what I had done and we started taking the pipes apart and found that the check valve was right there at that union. I now understand what a check valves purpose is and have a better understanding of how my pool works. The benefit of DIY pool maintenance is I'm not so ignorant about my pool now!! Now to get the chemicals balanced again.....after 2 weeks of not running they are out of whack.

Thanks for the help and quick responses, greatly appreciated

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.