Pump Replacement

The new iAqualink WAP and PCB arrived yesterday. The install went without a hitch and everything was up and running in about 30 minutes.

Capture_zpsystjmnbx.png

Intelliflo pump was delivered today and I found a local installer to do the work on Monday. That will run ~$200 making my total cost for this upgrade just north of $1k. I contemplated doing the install myself but decided that the 90-day warranty wasn't enough. 25% more cost for the installation extends the warranty ten fold plus I don't have to spend my day cursing to make it all work. They're doing the plumbing and electricity; I will hook it up to the automation system.

I'll post a photo or two of the finished product.

Nice work. Totally agree with the pro install as you definitely want to protect your investment with a good warranty.

Now all you need is a few hundred sq ft of Heliocol solar heating coils with an automated control solar heating control system and you'll be all set.....oops, there I go again sowing the seeds of pool upgrade dreams...I'm worse than kimkats :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Nice work. Totally agree with the pro install as you definitely want to protect your investment with a good warranty.

Now all you need is a few hundred sq ft of Heliocol solar heating coils with an automated control solar heating control system and you'll be all set.....oops, there I go again sowing the seeds of pool upgrade dreams...I'm worse than kimkats :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Ha! You're feeding my obsession.

I looked into Heliocol both with the PB and in doing it all myself. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze. The propane heater works well for on-demand use and will already extend the season a month or two. With a decent price on propane, solar doesn't make much sense for my wallet.

This probably isn't the right thread to ask the question but I am still looking into automating the in-floor cleaning. That will take two valve actuators: pool wall return off and spa wall return off. I don't see a way to specify two to actuators in the automation programming. May I hook them up in series? Both would either be open or closed.

- - - Updated - - -

Both would either be open or closed.
Ugh, that is a dumb statement. Both valves need to reroute the flow simultaneously.

Wow. Propane. That's not too cheap these days. I'm glad I have NG plumbed into my neighborhood.

Well, if we upgrade your ancient Jandy automation with a slick Pentair EasyTouch system, I can totally help you out with the programming.....DOH!! There I go again...I'm like the little red suited dude with horns and spiky tail sitting on shoulder and whispering tempting thoughts into your ear....:slidehalo:

JN, you're bad. Coal headed your way for sure.

coal-stocking.jpg

No NG here. Also no city water, no sewer, no cable TV/Internet. I'm on the grid for electricity but the rest I fend for myself. Propane isn't too bad because I buy 200 gallons at a time and switch companies every refill for the "introductory rate". A full tank lasts me 18 months.

To go further off topic, the fam is asking that I fire up the smoker tomorrow. The weather looks to be nice so I have a small pork roast rubbed up and getting happy. If I can remember, I'll post a few snapshots in the outdoor cooking section.

Oh yes, definitely post pics of the finished product....yum!!

No cable/internet? So you're still ROCKIN' it with AOL on your 9600 baud modem ??

Good call on the Iaqualink upgrade. You basically have a brand new automation system. Only one piece of hardware for Iaqualink and such simple setup. Not to mention Zodiac offers great support. Love when everything works together.

Good call on the Iaqualink upgrade. You basically have a brand new automation system. Only one piece of hardware for Iaqualink and such simple setup. Not to mention Zodiac offers great support. Love when everything works together.
Agreed! With help from folks on this forum, I've successfully completed significant upgrades to my pool. My badges include self-installation of a SWCG; help keeping the PB honest during a total plaster chip-out and application of new PebbleTec; deck strip and recoat; the new PCB/WiFi; and most importantly the termination of weekly pool chemical service with the know-how to do it myself.

:lovetfp:

Oh yes, definitely post pics of the finished product....yum!!

No cable/internet? So you're still ROCKIN' it with AOL on your 9600 baud modem ??

Oh man. You're not far off. Keep rubbing it in...
Had maxed out at 1Mb ADSL for my 1st year here but am now on PTP wireless with a big ol' dish on my roof. Speeds are good but not great. While it still beats satellite, there is no Netflix for me. Fiber all around but not down my street.

Oh, say, don't you remember, they called me Flap?
It was Flappy all the time.
Say, don't you remember, I'm your pal.
Buddy, can you spare some bandwidth?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Correct you are. Parallel would be more appropriate.

The more I think about it, it may be possible to get by with only one actuator. The new pump is twice the horsepower of the old. Perhaps at high speed there will be enough pressure to run both the in-floor cleaning system and the spa return.

Quick update. My new pump is configured and manageable from iAqualink. I programmed the filter RPMs to 1185 for 23.5 hours. The remaining 30 minutes is for spa mode at 1725 rpm. I have a lot more playing to do in figuring it all out but am happy thus far. The new pump is nice and quiet compared to the old. How it will work with the in-floor cleaning is my next mountain to climb.

I've been busy the last few days. The low voltage lighting system is now tied to the pool automation system and I am trying to come up with other creative ways to use this newfound integration. Poolside I swapped out some of the pool returns with smaller eyeballs. Those closest to the pump are now 1/2"; the middle ones 3/4"; and furthest upstream are 1". It is a little early to tell but I think that brings me better circulation especially at lower volume.

I'm happy not to have done the pump installation myself. The installer did a good job and had far fewer expletives than I would have thrown.

- Flappy

You're running your pump 24x7 ? :shock:

It's winter. You should not need to run it that much. I run my pool pump 3hrs/day right now. That's it. More than enough to filter and clean the pool.

Save yourself some money Flappy (God knows you've spent enough of it lately!!) and cut your run times in half.....at least.

You're running your pump 24x7 ? :shock:

It's winter. You should not need to run it that much. I run my pool pump 3hrs/day right now. That's it. More than enough to filter and clean the pool.

Save yourself some money Flappy (God knows you've spent enough of it lately!!) and cut your run times in half.....at least.

Fastest reply in the West! I'm still feeling my way through this and appreciate the advice. Cranking it down. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.