Pump replacement help needed

It isn't that the two motors are close. That is not what I meant. The 3 HP can hand a load that is close to twice that of the 1.5 HP. But that is irrelevant. Your last motor has a THP of 2.5. The 1.5 HP EZ has a THP of 2.4 or about 4% lower load than the original motor. But since the EZ is variable and the load on the motor is proportional to the cube of RPM, you only need to reduce the RPM by 1.3% to get a load reduction of 4%. So the target RPM needs to be 3400 or less.

However, my guess is that your original motor was probably not at full load anyway so it would not surprise me if you could run at full speed with the EZ without any issues. Motors tend to be rated lower than what they can actually support and this is especially true of pump motors.

Last edited:
It isn't that the two motors are close. That is not what I meant. The 3 HP can hand a load that is close to twice that of the 1.5 HP. But that is irrelevant. Your last motor has a THP of 2.5. The 1.5 HP EZ has a THP of 2.4 or about 96% lower load than the original motor. But since the EZ is variable and the load on the motor is proportional to the cube of RPM, you only need to reduce the RPM by 1.3% to get a load reduction of 4%. So the target RPM needs to be 3400 or less.

However, my guess is that your original motor was probably not at full load anyway so it would not surprise me if you could run at full speed with the EZ without any issues. Motors tend to be rated lower than what they can actually support and this is especially true of pump motors.

Good Info, thanks

Thanks for the clarification. I was planing on running the 1.5 hp at a much lower rpm for a longer period of time. Would this still be ok? Is it better to get the 3 hp and run it at the lower rpm for a longer period of time? Does it even matter? The only time I would be at the higher rpm is when running the polaris.

It doesn't matter which motor you get, the efficiency is about the same so the power draw will be about the same. The only difference is max load/amps.

But you may find that you only need to reduce RPM and not increase run time. Run time is not proportional to the inverse of RPM as some would say. Just run the pump long enough to keep it chlorinated and as clean as you like it.

Yes, when running at 35%, you get 35% of the flow and the pressure is much lower too. This is to be expected. But you may find that you need higher RPM/GPM to get the skimmers to work properly so some experimentation may be necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.