Pump recommendations for multiple sheer descents

armypilot

Jun 6, 2022
Virginia
We are in mid construction of our pool and our contractor is little help because he's never done multiple sheer descents. 2" line running to 3 SD's, 1-36" and 2-24". We plumbed a loop at the bottom and ran three tees in the loop with vertical 2 inch pipes coming up to each sheer descent. I am going to run a separate pump album was thinking about getting the Intelliflo VS to match our other pump and then I saw Pentair has a waterfall pump. The 2 inch line runs about 50 to 60 feet from the pump pad to the waterfalls. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm also a little disappointed that our CMP natural wonders waterfalls come with 1-1/2" rock traps and 2" are not available. I hate to reduce down the size and then go back up to 2 inch but I guess I don't have much choice. I'm putting ball valves on each one of the vertical 2 inch pipes coming up to the sheer descent so I can fine-tune them.

Attachments

• IMG_5399.JPG
    IMG_5399.JPG
    888.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5400.JPG
    IMG_5400.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 39
Sheer descents usually require about 12 GPM/ft or 60 GPM total which is fine for 2" pipe. A waterfall pump such as the Pentair AF-120/180 would probably work but it depends on the plumbing layout.

You mentioned 60' runs but does the loop have it's own filter? It is usually a good idea to have a filter for sheer descents to prevent any blockages even with a rock trap. But even with a cartridge filter, the AF-120 should still work ok with an operating point of 71 GPM @ 21' of head. But I am assuming a good design with few valves and fittings. Your results may vary.

If you want a bit more dynamic action from the descents, I would go with the AF-180. It will give you a bit more headroom too. That operating point would be 76 GPM @ 24' of head.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Sheer descents usually require about 12 GPM/ft or 60 GPM total which is fine for 2" pipe. A waterfall pump such as the Pentair AF-120/180 would probably work but it depends on the plumbing layout.

You mentioned 60' runs but does the loop have it's own filter? It is usually a good idea to have a filter for sheer descents to prevent any blockages even with a rock trap. But even with a cartridge filter, the AF-120 should still work ok with an operating point of 71 GPM @ 21' of head. But I am assuming a good design with few valves and fittings. Your results may vary.

If you want a bit more dynamic action from the descents, I would go with the AF-180. It will give you a bit more headroom too. That operating point would be 76 GPM @ 24' of head.
They (CMP) are recommending 1 gpm per inch. I have 84" so I need 84 gallons per minute. I am also using the Pentair East Touch automation system and want to hook the waterfall pump to the automation so I can turn on the waterfalls with my phone. I talked to Pentair and they recommended using another Intelliflo VSF since it is compatible with the automation. I am having a hard time trying to find a cartridge filter with a 2" in/out to use with the system. Thoughts?

Pretty much all cartridge filters have 2" in/out.

My mistake on the GPM. If you upsize the pipe to 2.5", then:

AF-120 should be able to deliver 88 GPM @ 18' of head.
AF-180 should be able to deliver 97 GPM @ 22' of head.

The limiting factor is really the pipe size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.