kschroeder

Jul 5, 2023
North Carolina
I have a Hayward Tristar 2-speed 1.5HP pump on my inground pool. I typically run it on low speed 12hrs a day. I had noticed that when I turn it on high speed this year that it was making a lot of noise like rocks bouncing around inside the pump. Low speed was not that noticeable. I got around to checking it out took the filter basket out etc and stuck my hand into try and turn the impeller. I was able to spin it but was pretty snug, did not feel any debris but can't say how thorough I was since the hole from the filter basket is small. Anyway when I fired the pump back up it seems as though I have lost like 5-10 PSI on the pump. Low speed barely registers above 0 PSI and high speed is now showing around 15-20 PSI. I assume my gauge is fine since it actually is moving and it was probably replaced in last 2 years. Both Hi/Low speeds still moving water but feeling as though I need to run it on high all the time now to get the right turn over. Anyway looking for thoughts if the motor might be going bad or if I should consider replacing impeller all together or something else. To note I have a Hayward Sand filter as well and sand has not been changed in 4 years probably but by the previous sounds coming out of the pump and the sudden change in pressure on the gauge after inspecting the pump certainly seems pump related.

I have a Hayward Tristar 2-speed 1.5HP pump on my inground pool. I typically run it on low speed 12hrs a day. I had noticed that when I turn it on high speed this year that it was making a lot of noise like rocks bouncing around inside the pump. Low speed was not that noticeable. I got around to checking it out took the filter basket out etc and stuck my hand into try and turn the impeller. I was able to spin it but was pretty snug, did not feel any debris but can't say how thorough I was since the hole from the filter basket is small. Anyway when I fired the pump back up it seems as though I have lost like 5-10 PSI on the pump. Low speed barely registers above 0 PSI and high speed is now showing around 15-20 PSI. I assume my gauge is fine since it actually is moving and it was probably replaced in last 2 years. Both Hi/Low speeds still moving water but feeling as though I need to run it on high all the time now to get the right turn over. Anyway looking for thoughts if the motor might be going bad or if I should consider replacing impeller all together or something else. To note I have a Hayward Sand filter as well and sand has not been changed in 4 years probably but by the previous sounds coming out of the pump and the sudden change in pressure on the gauge after inspecting the pump certainly seems pump related.
"Sounds like rocks" is generally the result of cavitation, the pump can't get enough water. You can Google for more information.
The lower pressure you now have indicates the same and the usual cause is a clogged suction line.

"Sounds like rocks" is generally the result of cavitation, the pump can't get enough water. You can Google for more information.
The lower pressure you now have indicates the same and the usual cause is a clogged suction line.
It no longer sounds like rocks is the thing. My skimmer basket is clean as well as the pump filter baskets. I dont' have any noticeable leaks either.

I finally got around to disassembling my pump. Looms like my diffuser has a crack in it. Impeller and other parts appeared undamaged. Do you see this causing drop in pressure? I ordered a replacement already so we’lll see. IMG_4135.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.