hlb96

May 23, 2011
Hammond, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
33 foot round above ground pool installed. 2 hp pump with canister filter came with it from local pool store. Waiting on electrical to be installed. Was using a 100 foot 12/3 extension cord temporarily. Wednesday evening the pump turned off it was hot to touch, so I ran it on low yesterday during the day. No problems. I got a 10/3 100 foot extension cord today. Pump was on high less than 5 hours. Extremely hot and cut off with the 10 gauge cord. No heat on the cord or plugs. Any ideas on what’s wrong? Guess I need to get the electrical done ASAP.

What is your filter PSI? 110 volt 2hp pump i would think would use 230 vac pump set up. Your 10 ga 3 wire should handle the load ok...that 100 footer must have been expensive.

Last edited:
What is your filter PSI?

This is on high. On low it’s about 2.5

I did just release quite a bit of air from the filter. I did open the pump basket and install a bonding kit in the pump basket today and didn’t release the air from the filter until just now. So the 10 gauge extension cord wasn’t used until after I installed the bond kit today. Not sure if this caused the over heating.

Attachments

• 19C5B715-380C-41F6-83F5-0C611A02BC5B.jpeg
    19C5B715-380C-41F6-83F5-0C611A02BC5B.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Merged threads. TFP Mod.
Posted this in above ground pool thread but figured it might be better here.
33 foot round above ground pool installed. 2 hp/2 speed pump with 125sf canister filter came with it from local pool store. Waiting on electrical to be installed. Was using a 100 foot 12/3 extension cord temporarily. Wednesday evening the pump turned off it was hot to touch, so I ran it on low yesterday during the day. No problems. I got a 10/3 100 foot extension cord today. Pump was on high less than 5 hours. Extremely hot and cut off with the 10 gauge cord. No heat on the cord or plugs. Any ideas on what’s wrong? Guess I need to get the electrical done ASAP

Pressure is 11 on high speed and 2.5 on low speed.

I did just release quite a bit of air from the filter. I did open the pump basket and install a bonding kit in the pump basket today and didn’t release the air from the filter until just now. So the 10 gauge extension cord wasn’t used until after I installed the bond kit today and before I released the air after it stopped from over heating. Not sure if this caused the over heating.

My pump and filter
Waterway Clr/Wtr Cart Filter Std Sys 125Sf 2HP 3 Nma L/Hse #522-5152-6SH

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.