Pump not pumping well, 635T Intex filter

Sep 7, 2017
Conway, AR
Help! I'm a 1st time pool owner. I have a 16' x 48" intex ultra frame with intex krystal clear 635T filter pump. It has 2 out-take hoses. Everything was fine until I purchased a skimmer to hang from the side of the frame. It came with a plug (with a tiny hole in center) for the second hose with I put in. It skimmed for almost a week (4 hrs. a day) and was amazing how much it helped. I have a bad wooly aphid problem in the tree close to pool. 3 days ago I cleaned the pool really good and was trying to use the vacuum on bottom when I noticed it wasn't working well like the first time I used it. Hardly any suction. I checked the filter again that I had just put in that morning and it was barely dirty. I still cleaned it well and replaced. When I turn on the pump now it does not pull the water hardly at all. I have been afraid to use it as I don't want to burn up the pump. Is it possible it is air locked? I've been trying to find solutions. I read about backwashing, but I don't think this pump does that, or am I wrong? Any suggestions appreciated for this novice!

Is there a screen in the port on the side of the pool that the skimmer attaches to? If so, make sure it isn't clogged up.

It does sound a little different, like it's laboring. I have checked and rechecked the opening valves.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I've checked there. The pool inlet valve seems to be trying to put out the water from the pump, but the outlet side is where the problem seems to be or the pump itself. I will check as you suggested, TX!

- - - Updated - - -

TX! I will check.

"Is it possible it is air locked? I've been trying to find solutions. I read about backwashing, but I don't think this pump does that, or am I wrong?"

That's a cartridge filter, so no, no backwashing. There's a relief valve on top of the filter that you can loosen to let any trapped air escape. If no air and only water comes out, the pump should be sufficiently primed. But, when I had that pump/filter I found those little Intex filters clogged rather easily. So if you haven't pulled it out and cleaned it, that's probably the only issue you're having. Make sure that even if the "fins" are barely dirty, that the crevices aren't clogged with wooly aphid carcasses... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.