Pump motor failure

rose62

Apr 20, 2016
Temple, Ga.
Since I've owned my pool, motors have never lasted for very long. It seems that the seals are always letting water into the motor. I have a main motor and one that drives the Polaris. This year my main motor began to get loud. I removed it from the pump housing and unwired it so that I could get some oil into the bearing and quiet the thing down until I got a replacement. When I reinstalled it, however, it won't pump. It is a 220v. motor with a cap and starter contactors on the end of the shaft. Is it possible that the motor is running in reverse? Normally, it will empty the basket immediately. Now, it just spins and the water never leaves. This afternoon I will remove the end cover and check rotation. But I just wanted to know if it was possible for it to run in reverse, if for instance, I damaged something on the starter contactors.

How much did you disassemble the motor?

Post pics of the pump and motor data plate.

I just removed the cover to expose the wiring so that I could maneuver the motor and get to the impeller for inspection and to oil the bearing. Regardless, it began working Monday. I removed the cover to check rotation and it was correct. So, I started it: Nothing. Then, I was going to check the basket and prime it by filling the basket but when I went to remove the clear cover, it was already full of water?! I thought it was empty. Anyway, it made a suction sound and when I put the cover back on and started it, it began pumping immediately. So, I don't know what's going on. The motor is failing anyway. I have experience with the kind of seals these pumps use and I'm very careful during installation. But the seals keep letting saltwater into the motors and killing them. What am I doing wrong?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.