Pump humming, low speed won't turn on

Aug 22, 2010
Hey gang-

i'm at my wits end with this- hoping someone can help before i have to bite the bullet on a new motor.

Here's the skinny: noticed my 7 year old pentair whisper flo WFDS-6 2 speed pump (# 011522) wouldn't turn on when low speed was engaged- pump just hummed. Once the high speed was engaged, the pump would start up & run normally. Once i turn the off high speed, low speed will run normally so long as high speed was on first.

I checked the impeller shaft at rear of motor and I was unable to spin by hand. Figured it was a bearing or seal. Took pump & motor apart, greased rear bearing (couldn't remove cover to access bearing closest to front of pump) and replaced the pump seal. Spun freely- thought i was home fee. Same problem: low speed hum.

Replaced the capacitor just in case as well, but no luck. Same problem- low speed hum. Not sure what to do short of buying new motor at this point. Any ideas?

Could be a switch issue?

Contact InyoPools. They are pretty good at assisting in trouble shooting.

Take care.

I looked at the parts list on InyoPools and it showed a switch. My bad.

Still call them -- I would bet they can help.

Take care.

I am having this same issue. Did you find/replace the internal switch and if so, where did you purchase the part?

I didn’t replace the switch- Inyo said I would need a new Pump b/c replacing the low speed switch was not an option. My low speed will still run so long as high is engaged 1st & then kicks down to low. So, I set my timer to run in that order. Have had no issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.