Pump head affected by elevation in relation to pool?

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
Is the filter pump head affected if the equipment pad is about 15" lower than the pool?

My pool's elevation has to match my houses elevation since we are extending the deck. Currently they made the pad at the same height of the pool, but i want the framing to be flush with the ground. Will lowing the pad 14" dramatically affect the pump head?

Attachments

• 20220926_190842.jpg
    20220926_190842.jpg
    895.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220926_192521.jpg
    20220926_192521.jpg
    835.5 KB · Views: 15
The head added is not significant and a 2.7-3HP pump can handle it.

With the equipment below the waterline you should put shutoff diverter valves on all lines leading to the pool pad as you will need to close the valves before servicing the equipment.

Thank you ajw22, but can i ask why i would need to do that? I know my pb will ask me.
Need to do what?

Without shutoff valves you will not be able to stop the water flow if you need to open the pump or filter or other equipment for maintenance. The pool will drain out onto your equipment pad.

Reactions: consoleman
Normally the skimmer and drains will connect to a 3 way diverter valve. I can use this as a shutoff valve to do any maintenance on the oump or filter.

Are you suggesting i get actual shutoff valves in addition to the 1 diverter vavle? Like the gate valve style. I do know that ball valves have a reputation of not lasting too long.

Normally the skimmer and drains will connect to a 3 way diverter valve. I can use this as a shutoff valve to do any maintenance on the oump or filter.

I don't assume anything is "normal" in pool construction if not specified.

Are you suggesting i get actual shutoff valves in addition to the 1 diverter vavle? Like the gate valve style. I do know that ball valves have a reputation of not lasting too long.

What will you do when those diverters need maintenance?

We see members who ask what can they do with their equipment below the water line and valves needing repair and not have the equipment get flooded.

I don't assume anything is "normal" in pool construction if not specified.

What will you do when those diverters need maintenance?

We see members who ask what can they do with their equipment below the water line and valves needing repair and not have the equipment get flooded.

I hope i didnt come off as rude as it was not my intention. Thank you for the information. For the shutoff valve on each line, what type of valve would you suggest?

Gate valves or diverter valves.

Any valves used must be repairable which ball valves are not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.