Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
sbc,

You have an IntelliFlo pump, so I would not think it would cost much to run it 24/7. It does not appear that you have a heater, so you could run at about 1200 RPM most of the time. I'm sure our electrical rates are not the same, but I can run 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month.

Are you running faster that 1200? If so, why?

I would also think about bumping your CYA up to 70 so that you will have less FC loss per day.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim-

Jumping into an old thread, but it seems you may have an answer to my question. How do you know how much energy your pump is using? I have a 2017 Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-6 1.5hp. I can't seem to find anywhere what the RPMs or wattage are to back into KwH based on running 8 hours per day. In the end, I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense for me to proactively upgrade to a VSP from an energy consumption standpoint. Thank you!

Moved from here.

Last edited:
The general rule is that the required kW scale with the third power of the RPM. That means running the pump at half the speed cuts the required kW by a factor of 8.

C,

You can use this calculator to come up with a pretty good estimate.

Most all single speed pumps run at a fixed 3450 RPM. You really don't need that info.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks everyone! This is really useful info. The SF on the pump is 1.47, so 1.47 x 1.5 = 2.2 kWH...so basically in line with the Inyo Pools site and James' estimate. So let's say 2.2 kWh x $.28/kw (SCE) x 8 hrs/day = $4.93/day or $1,800/year. Based on the Inyo website, you can run a VSP at about 47% of the cost of single speed, so that would be $846/year, or $954/year in savings. Seems like a no brainer, what am I missing? For my 16k gallon pool, are these reasonable assumptions? Would I run it longer hours? I've read some people running 24 hours at low speed, in which case would it not really save money?

I run my pump 24/7 at low speed. It consumes ~75 W, which equates to ~$6 per month. That's less than $75 per year in electric costs.

I live in Texas, where electricity is relatively cheap. You live in California, where it isn't. Even so, I think you'll enjoy significant savings with a VSP.

C,

Using your numbers, it costs you about $5 a day to run your pump for 8 hours.

I can run my pump 24/7, at 1200 RPM, for less than 66 cents per day.

It is not a requirement to run 24/7, it is just something that works well for me and that I like to do. I like that my pool is constantly be skimmed and since I have a SWCG, I like making a little chlorine all the time.

I certainly would not recommend running 24/7 with a single speed pump.

Also, my VS pump is about 8 years old and is not near energy efficient as the new ones. My guess is that I could run a new VS IntelliFlo for less than 33 cents a day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
C,

Using your numbers, it costs you about $5 a day to run your pump for 8 hours.

I can run my pump 24/7, at 1200 RPM, for less than 66 cents per day.

It is not a requirement to run 24/7, it is just something that works well for me and that I like to do. I like that my pool is constantly be skimmed and since I have a SWCG, I like making a little chlorine all the time.

I certainly would not recommend running 24/7 with a single speed pump.

Also, my VS pump is about 8 years old and is not near energy efficient as the new ones. My guess is that I could run a new VS IntelliFlo for less than 33 cents a day.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ok, this is significantly better than the Inyo Pool website estimate for savings. What is your energy cost?

There is no need to run a pump longer for turnover reasons, at least not in residential settings. But many just prefer to run their VS pumps 24/7. Constant skimming, pool is always ready to jump in, easy going in combination with an SWG.

Edit: Looks like Jim was faster with the same info. And more...

James beat me to the LA DWP info.

The company I used even applied for the rebate, they made it really easy, but they seem to be out of business, but other companies might do the same.

Pretty sure I got $1000 rebate which really makes it a no brainer. You have to use a certified installer to get $1000.

Hi Jim-

... How do you know how much energy your pump is using? ...

Moved from here.
I turn the pump off, yell at everyone in the house to not turn anything on, go look at the meter's instantaneous watt/kwatt reading, turn the pump on, check again, buy ice cream for everyone I yelled at. Also I can get hourly kW graphs/data from my utility (PG&E) and if I start my pump early in the morning before anyone wakes up that data matches with those instant readings. I can also get this year / last year comparisons and the summer I installed the VSP was way less than the year before. My VSP motor payed for itself that summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.