Gold Supporter
Sep 5, 2021
Miami. FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi everyone. I currently have a Single stage Century pool pump and I have two questions about it.
1) I feel lately that the power isn't as strong as before. When I clean the pump basket and then restart it, I feel like the flow isn't as strong as it used to be. When it's priming it used to take a few seconds to clear all the bubbles. Now it takes a few minutes to clear completely. Also I'm sure there is issues (maybe a seal from my reading) because there is like soot in the back . Is there a way to test the pump strength and status of it?

2) When I clean the pump basket I used to close the suction side main drain and skimmer ports as well as close the multiport valve to prevent the water from draining out of the pump basket area. Is the correct way to do it? Is there a better way? Also it used to hold water in that setting before and now it's draining with those settings. When I try to add water to it when I'm closing it drains as well. Just wanted to get instruction on the best way to do this and to make sure that's normal.

Thanks

There are actually 2 parts to your "pump" - the motor, which is made by "Century", and the actual plastic pump housing/mechanism that attaches to the front of the motor (it includes the pump basket). That may be one of many brands. Not knowing what the pump is, advice will be limited. Is there an identifying plate/model number on that part? Or can you post a picture?

Most pumps have a fairly easy way to disassemble the section between the basket and the motor, without needing lots of (or even any) hand tools. Inside will be the impeller - the fan blades that actually move the water. There may be smaller passages leading to it that pull in water. Check it all. For mine, the small passages, as well as the fan blades themselves can become plugged with "stuff" - dog hair, cottonwood fluff, pine needles, dead insects, etc. Mine does require a screwdriver to remove 3 screws to an internal cover plate that goes over the impeller. It is surprising how little "gunk" seems to greatly reduce the efficiency of the pump. Back before I cut them down, I had to clean pine needles out of mine about once a week(!). Now only need it once a year. There may be rubber seals/o-rings that should be lubed before reassembly.

Your way to prevent it draining is what I do too. The newer water loss likely means that one (or more) of the valves isn't completely sealing any more. An irritation, but not critical since you don't have to "airlock" things for the winter, like some of us do. If you're lucky you have Jandy or Pentair type valves that can be taken apart and cleaned or new "guts" put in. Or, if there is room, perhaps install a check valve just at the inlet to the pump. I'm not a big fan of that, as it does slightly restrict water flow, but not cause harm.

A picture of the soot would be helpful. Any not usual noises from the pump, either while running or on startup?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brazillianguy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.