Pump buzzes, needs hand turn to start, does not appear to be capacitor issue

csn

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2012
Houston, TX
So on Monday morning my Century Centurion B2855 2 HP motor was super hot and not pumping.

I turned off the power, after it cooled down I turned the power on and got the buzz sound and maybe after 20 seconds the buzz stops and the motor is hot.

Assuming it was a capacitor issue, I headed over to Grainger to buy a new capacitor. I put the new capacitor in and same deal. Then I remembered to try turning the axle by hand and that does start up the pump.

I put the old capacitor back in and found I can start the pump with a hand turn.

So now I’m trying to figure out what to troubleshoot next? With the power off I reached in through the basket area to feel for any obstructions or issues. Nothing.

The axle turns freely in a normal way.

1 year. It replaced a b855 that I believe was seized.

I bought it off Amazon, which I regret, but I was in a hurry and the price was good. I’m always super skeptical now if I’m actually getting something “new” when buying from Amazon.

Hmm... It sounds like a worn-out pump with bearings failing. Not sure you have any recourse at this point. Try Inyopools if you end up having to replace it again. Can you remove it to investigate closer? Like excessive play and things like that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You would be better served replacing it with a new VS motor or a completely new VS pump.
The cost savings in electric over a few years will probably pay for the replacement.

If the bearings went out in one a year, there are other issues..... seal, possible used motor, etc.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help specific to your pool without us needing to ask each time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.