pump basket won't fill up

Mar 7, 2014
McKinney, TX
This afternoon I cleaned the pump basket and backwashed the filter. I think I made a mistake after I cleaned the basket when I started a backwash cycle before I let the pump basket fill back up. I went ahead and backwashed several cycles. I let the pool run for about 15 minutes when I finished, but the pump basket never fills all the way. The water jets in the pool are sputtering like crazy. I've just turned off the pump until I get a response. Please advise on what I can do to get all the air out of the system (I assume that's what the problem is).

I suppose you have an air leak at the pump basket cover. Make sure you dropped the basket in the right direction because they only fit one way and that might be holding the cover up too high and not letting it seal. Or you can check if the seal is clean and use seal lube.

OK. I checked the basket - it's lined up correctly, I lubed the ring inside the lid. When I turn back on the pump, it appears to fill normally. It fills almost all the way up, then suddenly the water level drops back down to just a few inches in the bottom and it stays there. Nothing is circulating in the pool. Nothing is coming out of the jets and the waterfall from the spa to the pool is not flowing. Any more ideas?

A common mistake after backwashing. I tell people not to backwash unless pressure is up 25% higher then clean pressure but also tell them to take advantage of high water from rain and backwash a good few minutes as the water level allows it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.