Pump basket lid stuck...am I crazy to....

Apr 24, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I'm a new pool owner and have been diligently cleaning, lubing o-rings, etc. Two weeks ago I cleaned out all of the baskets, cleaned off the o-ring, applied new lube, put the lid back on hand tight only.

Now the **** thing won't come off. I've used two channel locks on each side wrenching away, hit it with a hammer, tried everything I could that I wasn't going to damage the pump. Won't move. Been trying for a week.

My lid and o-ring were already in poor shape and I had already ordered them. Lid is here, o-ring should be here today or tomorrow. I don't want to beat on the pump any more, I'm afraid of breaking something. Would I be crazy to cut the lid off with a RotoZip?

21me1KVLBeL.jpg

This is the lid. I've thought about putting something together specifically to open it but haven't gotten around to it. I'm not sure if I could generate enough torque with something directly above the lid. A garden tiller I used to have may have done the trick but given the current stuckedness, I doubt it. Something to think about for the future, though.

I just un-stuck a very frozen or stuck on cover just like that last week.

1. I used large channel lock pliers on one side with cloth covering the plastic

and

2. A rubber maillot on the other side

So I was twisting and pounding at the same time on opposite ends if that makes sense.... and off it came slowly.

I didn't check back in to see the last two responses prior to taking the angle grinder to it. blakeusa - your solution may have worked but I'm not sure. I used channel locks on both sides and couldn't get it to budge. I found out the pump also isn't anchored to the pad - this new house is full of lovely surprises.

It was a serious pain to get off, even after grinding some pie wedges out of the top of the lid. Because the threads run down into the pump housing I couldn't cut that, but I managed to break a chunk off and get it out. I did damage the steel ring that runs on the inside of the o-ring, but the seal appears to be solid.

AND I DIDN'T OVERTIGHTEN IT!!!! :D

Now about finding a 30 year old pitch fork....I'm hoping the new lid doesn't give me as much trouble. I'll find out in a week.

Welcome!

Be careful responding to really old threads. You might start a new one if you have a specific issue.

Be sure you keep your gasket on the pump lid well lubed with Pool Lube.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.