Pump and SWG issues

cbptls

Nov 14, 2016
DFW, TX
Hi,

This morning I started hearing strange sounds coming from equipment area. When I went to check it out, pump would attempt to start but shuts down almost immediately. I have removed filter basket and noticed damage to it as if diffuser separated and broke few pieces off. I have also been told that bearing on motor were going out due to extra noises by repair guys. I had one repair person come out to examine it and after he took it apart he told me its the motor (was making some rubbing sounds while spinning the impeller. He gave me few options: 1. replacement motor for $700; 2. new pump with single speed for around $1000,; or 3. new variable speed pump for $1650. New pumps would be Pentair which would require some re-plumbing. Since I like to do some research, I looked up new Jandy pump (same model) which I can purchase for $800. Since it would be pretty much simple drop in, I could install it by myself.

My question is, is there something I should be aware of since most recommendations locally are pushing me into Pentair over simpler exact replacement?

Also, few weeks ago my Aquapure 1400 started beeping and showed error 170 which indicates voltage issues. I have had several issues in the past that went away after powering off. After powering off I started to get No Flow but no error code so I am assuming I will need new sensor. I have old control box that is hard to find parts for and after few issues in the past I have decided to replace the whole SWG system. All local recommendations are for Pentair IC-40 but after reading here I am also looking at Auto Pilot Digital system. There is no local dealer/installer for Auto Pilot so it makes me little nervous to go that route. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

The pump is something you can change out. I do my own. My hubby hooks up the power after I install the new pump. I would make sure to get at least a two speed. If you can swing the VS that is something you might want to look into for energy savings.

I can't help with the other thing, sorry :(

Kim:kim:

700.00 is a bit steep, even if that is an installed price (labor included). Maybe he was including the replacement of the "broken pieces"?? That would probably be the best way to go, replace the motor and broken parts that is. Maybe haggle on the price a little? At least request a breakdown of costs.

You really don't need to replace the whole pump and motor. Unless of course, you were considering the variable speed pump (get the Pentair/Sta-Rite).

Going with a new SWCG while a bit more cost than repair of existing, i think you will be happier with the iC-40 in terms of reliability.

Really like my Autopilot. Like many of the features. If you are comfortable with plumbing and electrical, it is pretty easy to install - I did the replacement of my original to the autopilot myself. You could purchase and hire someone to install. The manual is pretty clear so anyone with experience should be able to handle.

Thanks. Unfortunately the $700 was lowest so far. Most of local companies are way too proud of their work. That price would include shaft seal at most. They were going to reuse diffuser and impeller since those are only 2 years old. That's why I was considering just buying whole new pump online for under $800 and swapping it out by myself since it would really be only moving wires over and I would end up with some spare parts for the future. I am just not sure if it's worth it to go to Pentair VS. How do Jandy ePumps compare?

I would need to find someone most likely for installing SWG. I could probably do it but last few times I touched anything plumbing or electrical didn't work out well ;-)

Definitely understand - especially when spending that kind of $. I really like the total control. My suggestion is to make sure to get a cell which is at least 2x your pool size. I am using the RC52 for my 19000 gallon pool. As a result, I had it set to the lowest of 3 power settings, and to 25%. Highly recommend saltpoolguys.com for purchase - Josh is a member here and really responsive. Ask for a quote when you decide on model. Great prices.

A single speed pump has 3 wires. A 2 speed pump has 4 wires. A VS has same wires as single speed pump. The 170 is usually the sensor. If you have a Jandy Controller it probable best the stick with all Jandy. Plumbing can be a pain if you go to a different brand pump.If you don't have a Jandy control you would have to get a controller for the Jandy VS pump. $80-250 depending on what kind. I think Pentair can be controlled on the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.