pump above pool water line

Apr 13, 2016
France
good morning,
new pool build happening (in ground concrete) and pump house is about 25m/80ft from pool (yep best solution) with pump about 1m/3ft above water level. Pump is a Poolex Variline VS 1.5HP, which is self priming, manual states do not exceed max 3m/10ft lift (pump above water level). My questions are about plumbing to ensure ease of priming.
  • in 80ft run of pipe there is a lot of air to shift to prime. No problem? or perhaps add a mains water injector (fixed manual operated valve) before pump to facilitate priming?
  • thinking of running european style flexible (spiral reinforced) 2in pvc on suction lines (4 total 2 x skimmers, drain and vac.) How does this pipe cope with suction situations, collapse type scenario? It deals with 4-5 bars on pressure side.
  • Any point in check valves ?
  • best practice for pump feed pipe, ie straight entry length?
  • Wanted to fit a 'viewing glass' on this section to see what was happening, but geometry of the fixture is horrible (sharp edges diameter changes etc), so might abandon.
Pump house plumbing is in design stage so all options are possible. Be very happy to hear any comments or suggestions on this kind of set up.
My own experience of pumps higher than water level was all fine once full, but a pain to prime.

Thanks for any comments
Patrick in France

Yeah this is going to be fun trying to prime. I would get a higher horsepower, higher head pump. Also get a valve just before the pump inlet so you can turn off for maintenance and not lose as much prime. Although you may end up losing it anyway.

good morning,
new pool build happening (in ground concrete) and pump house is about 25m/80ft from pool (yep best solution) with pump about 1m/3ft above water level. Pump is a Poolex Variline VS 1.5HP, which is self priming, manual states do not exceed max 3m/10ft lift (pump above water level). My questions are about plumbing to ensure ease of priming.
  • in 80ft run of pipe there is a lot of air to shift to prime. No problem? or perhaps add a mains water injector (fixed manual operated valve) before pump to facilitate priming?
  • thinking of running european style flexible (spiral reinforced) 2in pvc on suction lines (4 total 2 x skimmers, drain and vac.) How does this pipe cope with suction situations, collapse type scenario? It deals with 4-5 bars on pressure side.
  • Any point in check valves ?
  • best practice for pump feed pipe, ie straight entry length?
  • Wanted to fit a 'viewing glass' on this section to see what was happening, but geometry of the fixture is horrible (sharp edges diameter changes etc), so might abandon.
Pump house plumbing is in design stage so all options are possible. Be very happy to hear any comments or suggestions on this kind of set up.
My own experience of pumps higher than water level was all fine once full, but a pain to prime.

Thanks for any comments
Patrick in France
A check valve in front of the pump would be a good idea as it would keep water in the pump after it shuts down each day. The further away you can get it from the actual inlet of the pump the more water will be retained and help with the priming.
Try to obtain the 3hp model of that pump, you will be happier. That pump is also marketed in this country as the Calimar/Blue Torrent/Black & Decker. Second image is the Calimar-branded pump.
1713540008006.png1713540054147.png

thx poolman, will struggle to get check valve in before pump (space), so will probably put it between pump and filter. Also was worried about leaves etc clogging it, so water should be free of debris after pump strainer.
Once system is primed and full, am I right in thinking (if leak free as in no air ingressing system) pump will switch on and off with no priming issues?

thx poolman, will struggle to get check valve in before pump (space), so will probably put it between pump and filter. Also was worried about leaves etc clogging it, so water should be free of debris after pump strainer.
Once system is primed and full, am I right in thinking (if leak free as in no air ingressing system) pump will switch on and off with no priming issues?

Putting it between the pump and filter doesn't really help you since you will be regularly opening the pump cap to clean the basket. I also don't think you should use a check valve before the pump inlet as this will lead to winterizing issues. You need to be able to blow back to the pool for winterizing the lines. You could get a check valve (Jandy) that you can open up and remove the parts for but that would mean an extra step each winter.