Pucks in the early season?

sandman98

Silver Supporter
Aug 17, 2016
Warminster, PA
13k gallon pool, with SWG. I usually drain below the skimmer level in the fall when closing, then refill with either rainwater or municipal water in the spring when opening. This always leaves me with a bit of a CYA deficit (usually aim for CYA of around 60-70). Does anyone use pucks in the early season while water is still cold (i.e. before the SWG takes over) to ADD CYA to their pool? In past years I've just used liquid chlorine for the first couple weeks, then added powder CYA via sock method to get levels up to 70ish.

TFP protocol :

Know what your levels are
Know where you want them to be
Know what you are adding
Know what it will do
Watch it do
Verify it did
Pat yourself on the back for a job well done

Have at it Sandman. :)

I have to drain quite a bit of water each winter to winterize my pool, so using pucks is the way I bump up the CYA to start off the year (knowing that it will lower the pH (but then I use Borax to increase it back up).

So as long as you know what you are doing and when to stop that seems most important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.