Pseudomonas or Chem Sensitivity

NAOtis

Dec 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I'm on year 3 of using our tiny, inflatable hot tub (177 gal.) on our porch during the cold months. Season 1- no issues at all. At the end of season 2, I started to get a rash under my arms after sitting in the hot tub. It wasn't severe and I chalked it up to going to bed right after sitting in the tub and it possibly being heat rash. Here we are at the beginning of season 3 and I learned about pseudomonas. I drained the tub, cleaned all of the components, refilled and rebalanced the water. On the first use, no issues. Now, I've sat in it two more times and the rash is intense.

177 gal. inflatable tub
Replaceable paper filters
Using bromine mini tablets and ph + when needed

What I'm trying to figure out is the following:

1. Why am I the only one experiencing the rash? Two other family members use the tub as well and they have had no issues. I'm wondering if my underlying condition of psoriasis might have something to do with it. I take immune-suppressing drugs for it.
2. Why is the rash only under my arms and nowhere else on the submerged parts of my body?
3. I wonder if I've developed a sensitivity to bromine somehow. I've sat in lots of hot tubs over the years and have never experienced this.

I purchased a container of Ahh-some yesterday and plan to do the purge, refill and rebalance. I hope it works because otherwise, I think I might need to discontinue the use of the tub because this rash is not pleasant.

I read some of @JoyfulNoise posts and have been attempting to find a silver stick that I can use in a tub that doesn't have a traditional set up. I'm wondering if I can let one float in the water?

It may be the bromine- i know it irritates me. Adding silver likely won’t change that.
Perhaps consider switching to chlorine?
At recommended fc levels with cya in the water it is less harsh than most tap water.
Here’s the guides for both👇

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
1. Why am I the only one experiencing the rash? Two other family members use the tub as well and they have had no issues. I'm wondering if my underlying condition of psoriasis might have something to do with it. I take immune-suppressing drugs for it.
2. Why is the rash only under my arms and nowhere else on the submerged parts of my body?
3. I wonder if I've developed a sensitivity to bromine somehow. I've sat in lots of hot tubs over the years and have never experienced this.

1. Psoriasis patches lead to weakened dermal layers which can definitely allow for increased chances of infection. Immune modulating drugs can also increase the risk of any infection.

2. When you sit in a tub, underarms are typically in and out of the water and resting on the sides helping to support your body weight. Submerged body parts are continuously exposed to fresh sanitized water. It’s pretty easy for bacteria to take hold in areas that are moist and not exposed to sanitizer.

3. Bromine sensitivities are possible but you would have likely developed a rash over your entire body if that were the case.

Purge with Ahhsome and make sure your sanitizer levels are adequate (4-8ppm) at all times. Bromine levels can fluctuate a lot with tab use so be sure to test levels frequently so you can understand how your sanitizer is holding up over time. If it gets too low or zeroes out, bacteria can grow at exponential rates. The low volume of the tub you use means that it doesn’t take much for the water to become saturated with bather waste. Good filtration and sanitation is the key to keeping the tub clean.

Are you establishing a bromide bank in the water or are you solely relying on tabs to keep bromine levels up??

What is your pH and are you sure you are measuring it correctly? I have never ever had to use pH + or increaser in my hot tub (usually the struggle is to keep pH low as it tends to rise quite high and fast in a hot tub).

What is your pH and are you sure you are measuring it correctly? I have never ever had to use pH + or increaser in my hot tub (usually the struggle is to keep pH low as it tends to rise quite high and fast in a hot tub).

Most bromine tablets are very acidic, like trichlor pucks. In a small volume tub like the OP has, it’s very easy for tablet use to cause the pH to crash. It’s best to measure both pH and TA and then keep the TA on the higher side with baking soda to reduce the chances of the pH crashing.

Borax can be used to effectively raise pH without causing the TA to go up.

Reactions: Mdragger88
1. Psoriasis patches lead to weakened dermal layers which can definitely allow for increased chances of infection. Immune modulating drugs can also increase the risk of any infection.

2. When you sit in a tub, underarms are typically in and out of the water and resting on the sides helping to support your body weight. Submerged body parts are continuously exposed to fresh sanitized water. It’s pretty easy for bacteria to take hold in areas that are moist and not exposed to sanitizer.

3. Bromine sensitivities are possible but you would have likely developed a rash over your entire body if that were the case.

Purge with Ahhsome and make sure your sanitizer levels are adequate (4-8ppm) at all times. Bromine levels can fluctuate a lot with tab use so be sure to test levels frequently so you can understand how your sanitizer is holding up over time. If it gets too low or zeroes out, bacteria can grow at exponential rates. The low volume of the tub you use means that it doesn’t take much for the water to become saturated with bather waste. Good filtration and sanitation is the key to keeping the tub clean.

Are you establishing a bromide bank in the water or are you solely relying on tabs to keep bromine levels up??
Thank you for the reply.

My psoriasis is well controlled so I don't have flares at this point. That is a consideration no matter what though. This tub is so tiny that I sit in the floor of it and I'm submerged up to my neck. Point taken though.

I purged with Ahhsome today, wiped out the shell and am waiting on some dichlor to get here. New filter too when we fill it up. When I fill the tub, it's from our well so I have a strainer lined with a kitchen towel that I run the water through. I normally use granulated bromine to get it started and then put the floater in with the tabs. I use granulated PH+ when needed but it's rare and usually only when filling.

Reading through your replies is so helpful & it makes me miss my pool. We sold our house with the inground pool 3.5 years ago. This site was always my bible for chemistry then and still is!

Reactions: Newdude
If you don’t already have one, I suggest you get a good quality test kit so you can track your chemical levels more accurately. A Taylor K-1004 is a great kit for daily spot testing and, if you search around, Taylor sells the K-1517 kit for accurate total bromine testing. It’s the DPD-FAS test that is used in pools to accurately test chlorine and they just changed the titrating reagent slightly to make it easier to report bromine sanitizer levels.

Bromine tubs can be finicky sometimes so they need careful management.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you don’t already have one, I suggest you get a good quality test kit so you can track your chemical levels more accurately. A Taylor K-1004 is a great kit for daily spot testing and, if you search around, Taylor sells the K-1517 kit for accurate total bromine testing. It’s the DPD-FAS test that is used in pools to accurately test chlorine and they just changed the titrating reagent slightly to make it easier to report bromine sanitizer levels.

Bromine tubs can be finicky sometimes so they need careful management.
Thank you for that. I do use the K-1004 and have been giving it my best shot. Just refilled the tub today and am going to try dichlor. I have to let this rash heal first before I can do a real test. Thank you again.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thank you for that. I do use the K-1004 and have been giving it my best shot. Just refilled the tub today and am going to try dichlor. I have to let this rash heal first before I can do a real test. Thank you again.
Be sure to switch to liquid chlorine when cya reaches 30ppm. You can use PoolMath effects of adding to calculate how much dichlor that will take.
& Follow the FC/CYA Levels at all times to ensure the water remains sanitary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.