PS Light still comes on after new PS switch replaced Pentair 250

brendtbb

May 10, 2023
Holland MI
Started up the heater this spring and it worked like normal. Did a back wash and when It fired back on went to service system right away.
Red light on back of board was on PS. Ordered a replacement one on amazon and put it in with same result. tried adjusting the screw but no changes
checked the wiring and all good. Any other things I could check. The amazon part was the correct item but was only 20 dollars. How do you short it out with a wire?

Should I try a different PS switch?

Use your multimeter and connect it to the PS instead of the heater wires. It should read OPEN with no continuity when your pump is off and CLOSED with continuity with the pump running.

If it reads OPEN with your pump running then clean your filter and check your water flow.

Use your multimeter and connect it to the PS instead of the heater wires. It should read OPEN with no continuity when your pump is off and CLOSED with continuity with the pump running.

If it reads OPEN with your pump running then clean your filter and check your water flow.
So I did the multimeter continuity test with the leads disconnected from the PS and power off and it stayed open. Then connected the leads and power on system ( pumps ) and connected the multimeter and it started to beep and went to zero. ( Closed ) I assume. so something else is causing it. my Filters are cleared and I have back washed several times with same error...

Then with your pump running, as a TEST ONLY, short together the PS switch wires in the heater and see if it runs or errors.

Sorry but do you mean touch both the wires ends together or get a wire and connect between the 2 connectors on the PS?

Either one accomplishes the same thing but I would take the two wires you pulled off the PS and tape them together.

I connected them with a wire and started it up and still PS light on the board right away. Possible bad PCB board?
Or bad wire.

Use your multimeter and check the continuity of the wires to the board connector.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tested from where to where?

Yes.

Or replace the wires. Somewhere you have an open connection. You have to find it.
So cut the wires and re crimped same result! Closed when connected to the PS but open when I test them unconnected for PS. The wires look good all the way up. Is it hard to replace the wire at the board end? Or would you cut the close to the board and get a connection crimp to connect a new wire?

If it is closed connected then the board should good right??

So cut the wires and re crimped same result! Closed when connected to the PS but open when I test them unconnected for PS. The wires look good all the way up. Is it hard to replace the wire at the board end? Or would you cut the close to the board and get a connection crimp to connect a new wire?

If it is closed connected then the board should good right??

I don't know what you are asking.

Electrical 101 - you need electrical continuity to complete a circuit between the PS and the board. The wires need to carry the electricity. If a wire is open then there is not a complete circuit.

Show me a pic of your board and the wires you are working on.

I pulled the two wires up and away from the others. did not see any holes or issue with the wire.

Did you pull the connector off the board and check continuity on each wire between the clip end and the connector end?

Also when I test continuity with the leads off the PS but heater and pump is on I get a closed response. Is that normal?

If you are putting your multimeter on the ends of the purple wires while the heater is on you are seeing board circuitry. You should not do that as you can blow things on the board.

You should only be testing wire continuity with devices off and the wires disconnected at both ends from the device.

I just did that from the board connector to each end and got conitunity on both leads. So it could be a board issue?

Sounds like it.

PS turns on and off.

Wires are intact.

Next step is the board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support