Proud owner of a glorious swamp!

Day 4 - Hour 3 - FC:12.0 CC:<1.0 - Sunny

Time to add a couple jugs!

I know the skimmer area needs a good scrubbing, but I'm happy to note I can actually see the skimmer basket when it's inside the skimmer.

pool-d4h3-skimmer.jpg

Just wanted to say this thread, photos and humor are awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post your story for everyone's benefit!

I've gotten a lot of use from the Pool School and forums, and I'm happy to give back.

Day 4 - Hour 5 - FC:12 CC:<1 - water has a grey tint - sunny, but sun going down

Went to CostCo, picked up some bleach from there. Got the obligatory "What's all the bleach for?" and corresponding disbelief upon explanation and revelation that bleach is chlorine. It's the same kind of disbelief you get when spoiling Luke Skywalker's relatives to someone who hasn't seen Empire Strikes Back.

pool-d4h5.jpg

pool-d4h5-steps.jpg

pool-d4h5-dog.jpg

Oh no! There's a rip in my nylons! :(

pool-d4h5-rip.jpg

Two more jugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You know how you fix that? Hand her the leaf rake and tell her to get to it! :mrgreen:

Yep, I've always been a nature child and once threatened to chain myself to a huge oak in my yard when gas co cut the whole backside of the tree....that was before I became a pool owner! Have about 20 oak and pines on city right of way right behind my house. Constant battle with leaves, pine needles. My tree guy will cut them down for $200 each..didn't want to be fined by the city so I called our a Urban Forester and they would only cut down 5 IF I PAID $650 a tree. I can only pray for a strong storm that will blow them away hopefully in the other direction.....until then, I walk around each day with leaf rake in hand. I've of then thought, what dummy would install a pool with all these trees...then double thought, what dummy would BUY a house with a pool under all these trees. Yep, that'd be me!

Do you have a pool leaf rake/bag? If not it might be time to get one. I bet your pool would clear up faster if you could get most of the leaves/gunk out. Yes you will be raking blind but...........that will less stuff the bleach has to deal with.

Just an idea. You have come SO far I am hoping this will help you get to the finish line faster.

Kim

Day 5 - Hour 0 - Out of reagent!

I got about eight drops into a 5ml sample before I ran out of R-0871. I ordered a refill two days ago. What should I do in the meantime? Turn on the SWG? Dump in a jug every morning? What are the risks associated with going over your SLAM target?

Anyhow, the water looks a hair clearer:

pool-d5h0.jpg

The skimmer sock is still doing it's job, so the filter pressure gauge is only a 1 PSI over baseline, but I backwashed anyway. This is what caused the foaming from the return lines in the above photo. I have a minor leak in my backwash hose where the hose touches the edge of the pipe. Nothing like a little misting spray in the morning.

pool-d5h0-leak.jpg

How clear is the sight glass supposed to get? It never really gets perfectly clear, there's always sand whipping around in it.

pool-d5h0-glass.jpg

Do you have a pool leaf rake/bag? If not it might be time to get one. I bet your pool would clear up faster if you could get most of the leaves/gunk out. Yes you will be raking blind but...........that will less stuff the bleach has to deal with.

Just an idea. You have come SO far I am hoping this will help you get to the finish line faster.

Kim

You mean a leaf eater, like this one? Yes, I used it at the start and it picked up a lot of stuff but it was hard to manipulate blindly. I could give it another go.

You know how you fix that? Hand her the leaf rake and tell her to get to it! :mrgreen:

I appreciate the sentiment, I really do, but this would not work on my girlfriend. The approach would get me dour looks at best, as well as other consequences I do not wish to discuss, let alone suffer. More finesse is required. ;)

Yep, I've always been a nature child and once threatened to chain myself to a huge oak in my yard when gas co cut the whole backside of the tree....that was before I became a pool owner! Have about 20 oak and pines on city right of way right behind my house. Constant battle with leaves, pine needles. My tree guy will cut them down for $200 each..didn't want to be fined by the city so I called our a Urban Forester and they would only cut down 5 IF I PAID $650 a tree. I can only pray for a strong storm that will blow them away hopefully in the other direction.....until then, I walk around each day with leaf rake in hand. I've of then thought, what dummy would install a pool with all these trees...then double thought, what dummy would BUY a house with a pool under all these trees. Yep, that'd be me!

A'yep. Dummy here too. :)

You guys think he is over backwashing? Need to let the pressure build up, forgot the math % of starting pressure. Your site glass will always be dirty while the pool is dirty.

Sand filter? Wonder how old the filter is, and the last time the sand was changed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.