Proud owner of a glorious swamp!

"Cell current is always 0.0" - that is not a good sign.

I have two things for you to check. The first: is the unit setup for the correct cell type? Unless the unit is quite old, the last diagnostic number is the cell type.

The second, does the unit read the correct salt level, or anywhere near the correct salt level?

"Cell current is always 0.0" - that is not a good sign.

:( Yeah, it's 0, presuming I'm correctly reading the diagnostic. Because I'm not sure what exact model this is, I don't know which manual to read to tell me the order of the values. Here's what I read, and what I think they are based on the Mineral Springs MS-10 manual:

Temp: 84
Cell voltage: Varies greatly while on, always <22
Cell current: 0.00
Sanitizer output control %: 50P (matches knob)
Instant mineral level: - 0
Product name: AL - 0 (an MS-10 should read AL - 2, so it ain't this)
Software revision number: r1.10
Default Mineral Display: 2600

I have two things for you to check. The first: is the unit setup for the correct cell type? Unless the unit is quite old, the last diagnostic number is the cell type.

I believe the unit is quite old. The last diagnostic value is the software revision.

The second, does the unit read the correct salt level, or anywhere near the correct salt level?

The "instant mineral level" is zero. I read something elsewhere about "calibrating" this reading, but had no success doing so. The default display has always been at "2600." The 1766 test showed salt was at 2800. I added 25 pounds, and the default display did not change, although the 1766 now reads 3000 ppm. Is the default display supposed to be an average salt level over time?

Is there any chance I reinstalled the cell incorrectly after cleaning it, or damaged it during cleaning?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not an expert but you can buy a new one. Or, new house right? Do you have a home warranty?

I don't believe our home warranty covers pool equipment, but I'll have to check with the chief. I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with this house for a while. :p

Nothing's changed with the SWG, still not generating sanitizer. Anyone with any experience repairing these controller boxes?

To replace the whole control box, I think the closest match to what I have is this Aqua Rite, which I can get for $430:

31VmSTO8icL._SX425_.jpg

This doesn't include a salt cell. Who knows if the salt cell I have is still working, it's definitely an oldie.

Any recommendations for a different chlorinator?

Here's a photo of all 83 jugs I needed to slam my swamp. About 80 gallons of bleach.

tfp-jugs.jpg

If I rechecked my CYA more often during the slam and used coffee filters to strain the crudwater, I wouldn't have needed nearly as much bleach.

I've found that used bleach jugs are great for emergency water storage. There's just enough bleach left in each one to keep the stored water properly chlorinated. Just keep them in a cool dark place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got my replacement current limiter and I thought you TFP folks would like to see the folksy repair job I did. This is for a Mineral Springs MS10. It's essentially just an older version of an Aqua-Rite unit.

swg-ms10.jpg

This is my saltwater chlorine generator from the front. It doesn't generate chlorine. According to diagnostics, the voltage varies, and wildly. Seems like something the pool inspector should have caught before we bought the house, but am I bitter? Nooooooo.

Before I got any further, I turn off the power at the breakers, and unplug the cables: there's the thick cable in the lower right that goes to the salt cell, and underneath the box is a phone cable that goes to the flow detection switch on the return.

swg-outside.jpg

Remove the two screws and the top of the panel pulls forward and can be lifted up and out.

swg-inside.jpg

There are three sets of wires that need to be disconnected to remove the PCB. There are two red/black clips in the upper right. These were a little stuck and took pliers to tug on.

swg-red-black.jpg

In the upper left are four colorfully-coded wires and they slipped right off for me.

swg-fourwires.jpg

And finally the power to the main unit in the lower left. I took a paranoid moment to ensure that the power was off before unscrewing these and pulling the wires out.

swg-power.jpg

Now, to remove the PCB itself there are four plastic stands that have expanding tips. Squeeze the tips and pull the PCB forward to detach them. I used pointy-nosed pliers.

swg-clips.jpg

And finally there are two screws at the bottom. These don't need to be removed, merely loosened enough that you can slide the PCB out of the control panel. These were hard to remove and took some heavy plier action to loosen.

swg-screw.jpg

I took the PCB back into the house to work on it. Here's the culprit, which is apparently a current limiter. It's right next to the spot where you remove the red/back wires. How do I know this is the problem part? I don't. But other people have said this is the part that tends to go bad, and would seem to be related to voltage issues, so I'm crossing my fingers.

swg-culprit.jpg

Here's my trusty dusty soldering tool which I probably haven't touched since the 90s.

swg-solder.jpg

On the back of the PCB are two asymmetrical solder points that correspond to the thermistor on the other side.

swg-solder-points.jpg

I don't own a desoldering gun, or solder wick, or solder suction - apparently these are tools that smart people with brain one in their heads use to remove solder. Instead I just heated the solder from the back while tugging on the thermistor from the front...

swg-desolder.jpg

...and crushed the current limiter. That's probably a good sign, actually; I take the brittleness as a likely indicator of damage.

swg-brittle.jpg

After removing the old current limiter and clearing away as much solder as I could by wiping the soldering tool on a damp paper towel, I started working the replacement current limiter into the two holes. This was slow-going, since I didn't remove all the solder, but eventually I work it through enough that I don't feel the top of the part will bump into anything.

swg-installed.jpg

And a dab of solder on the back to hold the pins in and create contact with the PCB.

swg-affixed.jpg

I probably should have trimmed the wires before hand. No matter. Wire cutters worked.

swg-resized.jpg

And the part is replaced! I put the PCB back in, doing the removal steps in reverse order, and turn the thing on. And I get a high voltage and amps flowing! It's in metric, for some reason, but that's an easy change. Anyhow, it reports low salt. The inspect cell light is indicating reduced electrolytic efficiency.

swg-low-salt.jpg

I add the rest of my salt bag to the pool this morning, and while *I* think it's 3000PPM, the SWG says it's at 2700. Nevertheless, that's enough to keep it happy, for now.

So is it working? I THINK so. I ran it for an hour at 100% last night (before the salt addition) and FC climbed from 5.0 to 5.5, but that's within the margin of error. I'm leaving it on at 35% today and will check it again later to see how it's holding up. I have to deal with my low CYA at some point.

Also, my Intermatic timer trippers arrived. They were missing from the timer. Now I understand why:

swg-timer.jpg

The timer doesn't work. It doesn't move at all. So now it looks like I have to get a replacement timer motor or just replace the whole timer. There's actually two timers in the breaker box, the other is for the Polaris unit that broke and they never fixed and just for kicks they cut the booster pump out of the system but left it wired to the breaker box, so it's just sitting on the ground there for me to trip over. I thought maybe I could steal that timer for my filter/SWG pump, but it looks like that one's broken too.

I'm starting to understand why they sold the house... ;)

Great job clearing pool. The Aqua-rite units are set so the inspect element light comes every so many hours, so you will inspect element for debris. With unit running and inspect light on hold diagnostic button down 3-5 seconds and it should reset the inspect light. See if that helps. Doug

Great job clearing pool. The Aqua-rite units are set so the inspect element light comes every so many hours, so you will inspect element for debris. With unit running and inspect light on hold diagnostic button down 3-5 seconds and it should reset the inspect light. See if that helps. Doug

I had to add some more salt to get the unit to shut up. When I measured 3000ppm, its salt measurement kept lowering, eventually reading 2400. Once I brought it up to 3300ppm, its measurement was much closer to mine. Now I can turn my attention to dealing with this broken Intermatic timer....

Current skimmer basket death toll:

100 creepy bugs
5 baby frogs
1 bird

One frog did live long enough to survive the skimmer basket and accept relocation. His memoirs are available on lulu.com. The bird was a bit of a surprise.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.