Proud owner of a glorious swamp!

10 cups is defiantly way to much, unless you using dixie bathroom cups, lol

Should be about 2-4 cups

Wait a bit for the pressure to rise

Hmm. Do I need to pre-mix cellulose fiber with water, like you do DE? The pool store guy was telling me I could shovel it straight in, and I didn't find anything on TFP to contradict that. I added until I got a 1 PSI rise.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 12 - Hour 9 - FC:7.0 CC 0.0

Water is looking better and better. I can see leaves and gunk around the main drain. The house guests are leaving tomorrow and I'll have a little more time to dedicate to bringing this pool to the finish line. Sorry about the chlorine false alarm. I just couldn't imagine a reason why the chlorine reading would be so high! :crazy: Normally I use a dedicated water bottle for taking pool samples. For whatever reason I grabbed a different container. Also -- normally! -- I rinse out the chlorine measuring container after I'm done with it. This comedy of errors was brought to you by not normal.

Day 12 - Hour 9 - FC:7.0 CC 0.0

Water is looking better and better. I can see leaves and gunk around the main drain. The house guests are leaving tomorrow and I'll have a little more time to dedicate to bringing this pool to the finish line. Sorry about the chlorine false alarm. I just couldn't imagine a reason why the chlorine reading would be so high! :crazy: Normally I use a dedicated water bottle for taking pool samples. For whatever reason I grabbed a different container. Also -- normally! -- I rinse out the chlorine measuring container after I'm done with it. This comedy of errors was brought to you by not normal.
Was there alcohol involved? :mrgreen:

Was there alcohol involved? :mrgreen:

We've had guests visiting for the better part of the week, so I have been "involved" with plenty of alcohol recently. However, I'm sad to say, none of it is responsible for this measurement error. I'm just a dummy.

- - - Updated - - -

At least you figured it out!

No gator? SO what is eating your nets?Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Kim

Not sure! There is some refuse around the main drain, I'm hoping to find some sticks or sharp edges, something to help explain the net damage. Otherwise I'll be always looking over my shoulder for that alligator...

Day 13 - Hour 0 - FC:11.0 CC:0.0 CYA:33.0 - Pretty durn clear!

CYA is still climbing from the addition from a few days ago. Overnight FC loss is estimated at 1, but I didn't do an actual measurement before bed. The pool is much much clearer in the deep end! I know I'm not there yet, but I am going to take a look at some photos of folks with TFP-clear pools, particularly owners of sand filters, so I have a comparison before I declare this pool to be clear. The house guests were impressed with the amount of change in cloudiness in such a short time.

pool-d13h0.jpg

pool-d13h0-steps.jpg

pool-d13h0-ladder.jpg

There is a conglomeration of leaves around the main drain, and some sticks, but nothing to explain the damage done to both of my cheapo leaf nets. I'm going to have to assume there were some sharp sticks stuck on that drain at one point, which have since become dislodged. The alternative (ninja gator hiding in the bushes) is unthinkable.

pool-d13h0-drain.jpg

Finally I can give this thing a proper cleaning. Using this bad boy! (Although, to be honest, the cheap rakes are easier to empty.)

pool-d13h0-rake.jpg

For one's edification, this is the cellulose fiber that I added. It comes with a scoop. Fancy. It is the only time I've ever shopped at a pool store. Yes, that's my foot. Yes, the cellulose fiber bag is sleeping in a hammock.

pool-d13h0-cf.jpg

Hmm? Did you say something?

pool-d13h0-mugsy.jpg

PSI:12, which is where it landed when I backwashed yesterday. I was planning to add more cellulose fiber, but the failure of the backwash to restore me to pre-CF PSI of 10, and the rapid clearing of the deep end overnight, tells me there still is CF in the sand filter. Keeping up the SLAM. Brushed, raked, replaced skimmer sock, and added 45oz of chlorine.

Day 13 - Hour 7 - FC:6.0 CC:0.0

I didn't check the chlorine level all day, so the FC dropped down about half way from my SLAM target. Now that the sun has gone to recon the other side of the planet, I'm adjusting FC back to SLAM levels. Also, in a fit of eagerness, I changed my mind on the plan hold off on filter additive; instead I added another 2.5 cups of cellulose fiber to the skimmer. My primary reasoning was that the pressure change was negligible over night, so while there is probably some CF left in the sand filter, it's probably not a lot. My secondary reasoning was I'm impatient.

Anyhow, I only added 2.5 cups because, you know, what if I'm wrong? This waffling was brought to you by the number 13 and the letters TFP.

pool-d13h7-cf1.jpg

pool-d13h7-cf2.jpg

Evidently my camera's "make you look sunburned" filter is on.

pool-d13h7-cf3.jpg

Day 14 - Hour 0 - FC:12.5 CC:0.0 CYA:32.0

The water is very clear! I'll put up some photos when the sun is hitting the full pool. My girlfriend is excited to see the pool this way, but I've still got my analytical eye on, wondering if the deep end could be clearer. :D Part of the problem is the deep end seems to be harboring some wet dust, possibly dirt. When I brush or rake I see the stuff swirling around creating dust clouds. Is this something that would be improved at SLAM levels?

PSI was 16 this morning, a rise from 12 after putting in more cellulose fiber. I did a backwash, which brought it down to 10 and change.

The CYA has dropped a point as well. I suspect that's from backwashes. Although I've heard stabilizer can take up to a week to dissolve, I did dangle it in front of a return in a sock, and feel like it's probably steady. Anyhow, it seems like a good time start moving the CYA upward towards SWG targets, maybe 70.

I did a measurement last night, and added the proper amount of chlorine to bring it to slam. This morning the drop from the SLAM was 0.5 ppm. This isn't a precise OCLT measurement, but it's a durn good indicator. I'll do a proper OCLT tonight! :whoot:

How exciting! I can't wait to see the pics! The "dust" at the bottom could still be some dead algae settling down there waiting to be filtered. (maybe?)

This post reminds me that I am supposed to be backwashing my filter. I am not looking forward to it as the last time my hose just about exploded on me. It's got a bunch of pin holes towards the end which shot water directly at the neighbors window last time while the end shot water right at my car. :shock: Cheap hose. (heh, different spelling there would mean a totally different thing!)

Anyhoo... it's great to see the progress you've made! Make sure you keep it up till that water sparkles!! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.