ProTeam Metal Magic, when can I turn the SWG back on?

nsa

Aug 5, 2022
South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I am using ProTeam Metal Magic since there are small amounts of copper in my pool (see here), and so far it has been working to stop turning blonde hair green. I was hoping it would remove the copper through the filters, but it only seems to go from 0.2ppm to 0.15ppm before raising back to 0.2 again.

The ProTeam Metal Magic instructions say to turn the SWG off during treatment and to make sure the FC is around 1ppm, and to avoid shocking for at least a week. So my questions:

1. When my FC drops to 0, when can I turn the SWG back on to start raising it?
2. Can I turn it back on after 48 hours, or does that need to stay off for a week?
3. Or should I use liquid chlorine to raise to 1ppm again?

Unfortunately the ProTeam Metal Magic only seems to be preventing the green hair for around 2-3 weeks. I have a vinyl liner vacuum now, so I think I'll have to bite the bullet and just drain it and re-fill to get rid of the copper once and for all. I know about the water exchange method, but since I have a vinyl vacuum I might as well just replace it.

Are you using the MM as a sequestrant or trying it also as a stain remover? Exchanging the water would be ideal, but if you have to use the MM for a while, you may wish to consider adding a Polyquat 60 algaecide as insurance. In the summer, leaving the warmer water with a low FC is a recipe for algae. If that happens you'll be doing a SLAM Process for sure.

If you have already added the MM and are monitoring stain lifting progress, then use liquid chlorine to slowly increase the FC as soon as you are pleased with stain removal. If you still have questions let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.