Los Angeles CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello all. I installed a Jandy PLC700 Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) last summer and it has been operating wonderfully. It took a while for the salinity level to drop to a point where I needed to add salt and I did so a few weeks ago to raise it from 2.8 to 3.5 (according to the Jandy box display). I recently purchased this digital salinity tester and it reads that my salinity level is 2.6 while my Jandy unit reads 3.5. Is this much of a discrepancy normal? I assume I should rely on the results of the digital tester, correct?

For what it's worth, the chlorine levels and other chemicals are fine, and the pool is crystal clear, but I am worried about getting the salinity level right so as to not damage SWCG.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hal3
Not sure about the digital meter you are using. :scratch: We typically reference the Taylor K-1766 test kit here at TFP. However, we find you can easily see a 300 - 400 ppm difference between an SWG self-reading and your own salt test. Your difference of about 0.9 seems a bit excessive, but again I can't comment on the reliability of that digital meter. In the end though, even with disparities in testing, as long as the cell is happy and producing FC, there's not too much to worry about.

Your link to the meter is broken.

The only accurate salt test is the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

I suggest you get the K-1766 and not add any more salt until you know the actual salinity. Otherwise you can find yourself with too much salt in the pool and the only way to redice it is draining.

Not sure about the digital meter you are using. :scratch: We typically reference the Taylor K-1766 test kit here at TFP. However, we find you can easily see a 300 - 400 ppm difference between an SWG self-reading and your own salt test. Your difference of about 0.9 seems a bit excessive, but again I can't comment on the reliability of that digital meter. In the end though, even with disparities in testing, as long as the cell is happy and producing FC, there's not too much to worry about.
Thanks for the info. I ordered some calibration solution to see if the digital tester is calibrated correctly. I'll pick up a K-1766 at some point as well to supplement my K-2006 kit. Who knew I needed so many test kits?!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Your link to the meter is broken.

The only accurate salt test is the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

I suggest you get the K-1766 and not add any more salt until you know the actual salinity. Otherwise you can find yourself with too much salt in the pool and the only way to redice it is draining.
Thank you very much for the reply. I will definitely pick up the Taylor Salt Test. I ordered some calibration solution so I will at least be able to verify the digital salinity tester reading. Apologies for the broken link. I fixed it and should be working now. Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.