ProLogic Panels - lets see some pics

Breakers are sized to protect the wires. If you only have a 40 amp breaker, then all you wires after it need to be like 8 awg or something. If you used all 12 awg, then the breaker must be a max of 20 amps.

Just because your other one only had 1 large breaker does not mean it was correct or safe.

That's a good point. When I was adding up everything on the circuit it came to 20A and the sustained load shouldn't be greater than 80% of the breaker's rating so I sized it up. Not that the heater and cleaner would be on at once and I didn't even end up connecting the blower. It's my understanding that the NEC table 310-16 for ampacity are for wires bundled in raceways/conduits and that chassis wiring has a higher limit (My source:http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm). All the runs leaving the panel would be within the NEC limit and the one segment in the panel that could theoretically go near the limit is still well within the guidelines cited.

Still your point is taken and when I fix the blower I'll be putting the equipment on two 20A breakers.

As to the implication that the old one was installed incorrectly with a bypassed sub panel there must be a misunderstanding. Unlike the ProLogic which has relays to switch the circuits on the sub panel that powers the equipment the old Hayward 2100 controller powered all the equipment directly. Every amp that went out to any equipment flowed through that main PCB on the controller. Either way it's all academic since it looks like I sent the last one to the great pool cabana in the sky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.