Process order for opening a pool

Killman

Jun 2, 2021
Bonner Springs, KS
I am sure that this has been asked more times that not, but I am not very good at searching and locating information on a chat board!
I am getting ready to open my pool and I just want to make sure that I am doing things in the correct order, so if you all could let me know if I am not correct in my assumptions, it would be greatly appreciated.
  1. Remove/clean/store the winter safety cover
  2. skim and debris that might be floating on the top of the water
  3. install plugs, eyes and all other parts that were taken off for winter storage
  4. Fill pool with water to get to the center of the skimmer
  5. Prime and turn on the pump to get the water moving and keep it running through the end of this process
    1. Is this just via recirculation, or should it be going through the filter
    2. Should I draw water from the main drain or just via the skimmer since I have not vacuumed the bottom of the pool yet?
    3. Should I vacuum before moving to step 6?
  6. Balance for pH, alkalinity and calcium
  7. Santize/shock
  8. Vacuum floor of pool to waste to clean and clear the pool
  9. Add water if necessary, re-test chemical levels, add additional chemicals if necessary
  10. Enjoy! (when it gets a bit warmer!!)
What am I missing? What in these steps are out of sequence? What in general am I doing wrong? Is it a correct assumption that it the entire opening process should take 2-3 minimum before everything is good to go?

I appreciate the feedback, instruction and advice.

You got it. The vacuuming should be at the earliest convenience. Any crud that blew in over the winter will chew through FC until it's gone.

Once up and running, get your CYA to 30 and Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If the water is green, skip the OCLT and go straight to SLAM Process. Once the water is clear and has passed SLAM or proved no SLAM needed, then we work on the rest of the parameters.

Keep us posted and we'll help at every step We walk several through their first openings/closings every season. The 2nd+ rodeos are cake once they have a little know how and confidence. :)

In the search bar at the top of the page, type:

how to open my pool

Lot's of informative results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.