Process of shocking

130 pm i checked my fc was 13 the cc was 0.5 ph was 7.5 cya was 30. ok i added the cya 9 lbs of it as per the pool calculated added the salt. now 930pm checked fc is at 5 which were i want it but from 13 to 5 in 8 hours is scaring me.. cc are o ph went to 6.8 low cya is at 50 ta is 70 that was 80 earlier that also dropped.now I'm gonna wait until the morning to test it again i added 3 lbs of ph raiser that i had left in storage.. i hope all this work that i ve been doing pays off.. i have spent a lot of time with this pool.. my wife thinks I'm nuts.. the pool water looks magnificent..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tested the h20 @ 530am before the sun popped out and my FC was 4.5 from 930pm it was 5.0. Ph was 6.8 after adding 3lbs of ph raiser. All these fluctuating numbers r making me nuts it has been a solid week I've been working on this pool and after all this work I feel I'm gonna lose all of the chlorine. Helppppppp

Mrgadget14 said:
I tested the h20 @ 530am before the sun popped out and my FC was 4.5 from 930pm it was 5.0. Ph was 6.8 after adding 3lbs of ph raiser. All these fluctuating numbers r making me nuts it has been a solid week I've been working on this pool and after all this work I feel I'm gonna lose all of the chlorine. Helppppppp
Use borax and raise the pH to around 7.2 - 7.4 ASAP.

Check the PoolCalculator.com, near the bottom, for "Effects of Adding Chemicals" and see how 9 lbs. of CYA would affect your pH.

Mrgadget14 said:
I feel I'm gonna lose all of the chlorine. Helppppppp

Realize that chlorine is consumable. The sun will always break down some and organics will use the rest ... thus the need to add it every day. Looks like you are making great progress and passed the OCLT. Once the CYA is in the pool, you will lose less to the sun.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

jbliz is right, a normal pool (but there is really no such thing...each one is different) will loose somewhere in the range of 1-3 ppm FC a day doing it's job of keeping the organics away and some is lost to the sun (but less to sun if your cya is in the proper range).

If I figured right you have about 15000 gallons in your pool. 9 lbs of stabilizer would raise the CYA by 72 and lower the pH by 1.3,so if you started out at a pH of 7.5 you'd be about 6.1 after and adding 3 lbs of pH + you should be close to 6.5 so you need about 4 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax to get to 7.5.

Bama Rambler said:
If I figured right you have about 15000 gallons in your pool. 9 lbs of stabilizer would raise the CYA by 72
:!: If Bama is right about your pool size, you are adding 72 ppm to your already 30-40 ppm cya. I would take some out since the highest you probably want is 80 ppm (with a swg), and I would shoot for 60 ppm to start. You should remove at least half of it...hopefully you put it in a sock in front of the return?

Mrgadget14 said:
I have a 26 by46 inground pool with 36,000 gallons. Everything is looking good with all the help I've been getting from everyone on this site. Thanks to all who have helped
Good, so 9 lbs of cya would raise it about 30 ppm for a total of 60-70. Not a bad place to be with a swg.

It would help us help you if you put your pools details in your signature (like volume, equipment, etc.).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.