Long Island , NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi, I have a Hayward Aquatrol using a T-5 cell. I purchased a Platinum edition replacement T-5 cell from the Saltpoolstore.com. They assured me that it a direct replacement for the Hayward T-5 cell that came with my Aquatrol unit. The original Hayward cell bit the dust after 6 years and I installed the platinum edition that I bought as a spare a few years earlier from the saltpoolstore. My salt level right now is about 2900 ppm as measured by an electronic hand held unit and salt dip sticks. The salt reading on my aquatrol display is reading over 5000 and the current is over 5.0 with an occasional high salt light coming on and shutting off the generator. I called the Saltpoolstore and they told me that my salt lever must be too high and to re-calibrate the aquatrol. Well I just opened the pool and had to add about 6 inches of water so I know the salt level is not too high plus both readings of 2900 ppm. Re-calibrating does not change the high salt reading or current. Has anyone else had this problem with the Platinum edition replacement cell from the saltpoolstore?

Yup, folks have had problems with their cells. Use a Hayward cell and the problem goes away.

Hi, I have a Hayward Aquatrol using a T-5 cell. I purchased a Platinum edition replacement T-5 cell from the Saltpoolstore.com. They assured me that it a direct replacement for the Hayward T-5 cell that came with my Aquatrol unit. The original Hayward cell bit the dust after 6 years and I installed the platinum edition that I bought as a spare a few years earlier from the saltpoolstore. My salt level right now is about 2900 ppm as measured by an electronic hand held unit and salt dip sticks. The salt reading on my aquatrol display is reading over 5000 and the current is over 5.0 with an occasional high salt light coming on and shutting off the generator. I called the Saltpoolstore and they told me that my salt lever must be too high and to re-calibrate the aquatrol. Well I just opened the pool and had to add about 6 inches of water so I know the salt level is not too high plus both readings of 2900 ppm. Re-calibrating does not change the high salt reading or current. Has anyone else had this problem with the Platinum edition replacement cell from the saltpoolstore?
I’m dealing with the exact same problem. It’s reading 5100 ppm and had my salt checked by two different pool stores which came up with 3600 and 3800 ppm. They are giving me the runaround saying the pool stores salt readings are wrong and blaming the controller. Let me know if you get a refund.

I am actually using the cell. I lowered my salt level to just under 2800 ppm and the cell works fine without the high salt shutdown occurring although I still get the erroneous high salt on the reading. I measured the chlorine level from a sample taking from the return jet and it is putting out loads of chlorine at the lower salt level, actually more than the Hayward T-cell. Since I am getting sufficient chlorine at a lower salt level, I decided to keep it.

I yanked mine last week and put a Hayward in its place. The Hayward works perfectly. Trying to save money bit me this time. Still no responses to my follow up emails to them.
did you try the using the platinum with a lower salt level? My salt level is a tad below 2800 and the platinum is working fine and putting out a load of chlorine at 75%.

I am having the same problem with my platinum. I got 2900 reading at Leslie's old meter and 3380 on their new computer tester. My tcell5 jumps to 5000ppm in seconds. I haven't heard back from saltpoolstore. I am afraid trying to save $300 is going to cost me $300 more.

I am having the same problem with my platinum. I got 2900 reading at Leslie's old meter and 3380 on their new computer tester. My tcell5 jumps to 5000ppm in seconds. I haven't heard back from saltpoolstore. I am afraid trying to save $300 is going to cost me $300 more.
Hi, I had the same problem when I first hooked it up. It read false high salt and kept shutting down with the hi salt light on. Then I read about the AquaTroll J-4 hack where you connect the two J-4 solder terminals together. I did it figuring I could unconnect it if it did not work. I works like a charm ! Now the salt levels are normal, within 400 ppm of the readings from the Taylor salt test kit and my electronic meter. The J-4 jumper hack apparently tells the AquaTroll that it is a T-15 cell. Who knows, maybe they are selling T-15 and listing it as T-5. There is no label on the cell that states what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 11
  • 1.zip
    756.4 KB · Views: 14
Hi, I had the same problem when I first hooked it up. It read false high salt and kept shutting down with the hi salt light on. Then I read about the AquaTroll J-4 hack where you connect the two J-4 solder terminals together. I did it figuring I could unconnect it if it did not work. I works like a charm ! Now the salt levels are normal, within 400 ppm of the readings from the Taylor salt test kit and my electronic meter. The J-4 jumper hack apparently tells the AquaTroll that it is a T-15 cell. Who knows, maybe they are selling T-15 and listing it as T-5. There is no label on the cell that states what it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
T-15 has 13 Titanium Plates, 150 x 63mm.

T-9 has 13 Titanium Plates, 101 x 63mm.

T-5 has 7 Titanium plate, 150 x 63mm.

T-3 has 7 Titanium Plates, 101 x 63mm.
From the looks of the cell when it is generating, it seems that it is a T-15https://studio.youtube.com/video/MIAqqu5-DGg/analytics/tab-overview/period-default

From the looks of the cell when it is generating, it seems that it is a T-15https://studio.youtube.com/video/MIAqqu5-DGg/analytics/tab-overview/period-default

Greetings, new user but recently bought a platinum T-5 replacement as well. Having the same situation with inaccurate high salt readings at the Aquatrol, 5000+. Salt is roughly 3000 per pool supplier testing.

Luckily it is still generating and not giving a high salt error code for now, just started opening up the pool for the season. Curious if you had an update on this, I also noticed that per Saltpoolstore.com FAQ, they claim it is due to an additional coating on the plates for longevity.

Glad to finally find someone with the same situation, but curious how the j-4 jumper hack is working for you and this salt cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.