Problems with Jandy Aquapure 1400

So my PLC1400 arrived today from Amazon and wouldn't you know it that this has larger unions than my old unit? When I got the original square unit replaced a couple of years ago I remember discussing with the guy that replaced it that it uses different size connectors but I also vaguely remember him saying that he did have a round unit with the older smaller unions.

So what do I do know? How much work is it to redo the piping? How do you remove old piping? Can you use a heat gun to melt the glue? If not how do you remove old pipe? If possible I would like to keep the old sensor that you can see in the photo above.

Here are some photos and a few questions on how to redo the piping.

The full connection as it currently looks (water flow is from right to left in this pic):
14552020860_a0f1f255ed_o.jpg

Input
14738301702_11bf29194e_o.jpg

Output
14738594945_7ed3bd5dd7_o.jpg

Is what I describe below doable? And what is the degree of difficulty for someone who has never worked with PVC piping?

In the top photo at the input to the cell can I use a hacksaw and cut the 2" pipe just to the right of the black union. Then take out the existing 2" pipe that connects into the bigger T-connector. Then cut a piece of 2" pipe that fits into the T connector and into the new union. If possible I would like to preserve the old sensor that is in the T connector here. Does that look like it will be an issue?

On the bottom photo I would cut right at the existing joint where the black union joins the white elbow (this looks tricky as they are almost flush - I may have to cut through the black union). Then remove the 2" pipe that will be inside the elbow, put a small 2" piece into the elbow and the new union.

I have seen Youtube videos where PVC piping is removed by burning the inner pipe by either coating it with a solvent/glue and lighting on fire, or using a torch. Then use a flat screwdriver to pry up some of the melted pipe and then use needle nose pliers to twist the old inner pipe around the pliers. I have never done stuff like this. How tricky is it? Should I get a pro to do it, especially since I don't have any of the tools nor pipes nor solvents/primers.

I would install the new sensor in the correct spot. Also, when and if you do the work yourself, make sure you get 24 hour glue-some special glue that works best under high pressurized piping. I don't think it would be all that hard to fit the new cell in the same space, especially if you use the space that the old sensor takes up with the piping.

I recently installed a new cell on my system but I didn't have to make any new plumbs. I did however, replace the old sensor with the new one provided and rewired that to the back board. Install went smooth. I can't be happier as my new cell is working much better than my old one did and now I have much more knowledge on how to take care of my new cell. I'm looking to get much more life out of my new one compared to the 3-4 years I got from my old cell. That and the fact that I inherited the old system 3.5 years ago and had to learn everything when I got to this house as I've never taken care of a pool before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.