Problems with intake fittings on Intex pool

Jun 20, 2018
Galesburg, MI
We have a 16' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, which has two intake ports to the pump. They are smaller - maybe 1"? - and don't have threads for secure connections. There's just a plastic screw clamp that's supposed to clamp the hose securely to the port (picture below), but both have leaked ever since we setup the pool earlier this year. The leaking hasn't been too bad so I haven't really worried about it, but I'm trying to vacuum the pool now and I think these leaking fittings are causing issues with the vacuuming.

I ordered the Intex maintenance kit linked here. One key aspect of getting the vacuum to work properly seems to be ensuring there is no air in the vacuum hose - only water. I struggled with this last night with multiple attempts. I think I've figured out what the issue is though. Watching the hose while feeding it into the water I see no air in the hose. It is only when the hose is completely submerged/filled and I attach it to the intake port that air shows up and a couple sections of the hose break the surface of the water. I think the air is entering through the leaky intake fitting. I could not get the vacuum to work last night, and I think it's because of the air in the vacuum hose.

Eventually - next summer probably - I'm planning on changing the intakes to the larger Hayward intakes, but I don't have time to make that change right now. Is there something else I can do/use to make the Intex fittings more air-tight?

IMG_20180906_204531798.jpg

When you hook up the vacuum, are you blocking off the other suction port?

How big is your pump and filter? The smaller Intex pumps are lousy to vacuum with.

you do have the strainer fittings pushed into those pool connections right? They go in from the inside of pool and give some rigidity to the connection. With that pump you will never get a vacuum to work consistently. Air really is not going to travel reverse up your hose from the fitting especially with your pump running.. With long vacuum hoses its hard to get all the air out

When you hook up the vacuum, are you blocking off the other suction port?

How big is your pump and filter? The smaller Intex pumps are lousy to vacuum with.

It's a 2500 gph pump - Intex 633T. I have no idea where that falls on the small-to-big scale. It seems quite powerful to me, but maybe it isn't in the grand scheme of things?

I stuffed a sock in the other intake port. I'm sure there are more appropriate methods, but that was all I had handy at the moment. What should I be using?

- - - Updated - - -

you do have the strainer fittings pushed into those pool connections right? They go in from the inside of pool and give some rigidity to the connection. With that pump you will never get a vacuum to work consistently. Air really is not going to travel reverse up your hose from the fitting especially with your pump running.. With long vacuum hoses its hard to get all the air out
Yes to the strainer fittings. They sure don't give much rigidity to the connection though. I wasn't turning the pump on until after connecting the vacuum hose to the intake port. You're saying I should have the pump on first before making that connection?

Each time I tried to vacuum the pump sounded like it was working as hard as it usually does, but I got no flow whatsoever from the pump output. I opened the air valves and let the air out, but still no flow. I didn't let it go for long before turning off the pump because I didn't want to break it or burn out the motor. Not sure if those are real possibilities, but it seemed like they might be.

Also, make sure there are no cracks or breaks in the hose near the top. I had a similar problem this year. It was hard to see, but a hairline crack near the accordion part of the hose was leaking even though we had it securely attached with a clamp. We ended up replacing the hose. I think the weight of it being held downward and the sun breaking the material down brought it on.

No plugs. I did some testing last night with the sock plug. With one intake plugged with a sock and the other intake with the strainer fitting the pump will not pump, exactly like when I was trying to vacuum the night before. It seems that it can only pump if both intakes are open. Why would that be?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.