Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Aloha,
This is my first post and the first pool I have owned. I have been in the construction building industry all my life, working as a consulting mechanical engineer or as an owner's rep for design on new building construction, renovation, and energy project program manager for a University in California for over 20 years. I'm now retired and living full-time in Hawaii, living the dream.
I hired a pool contractor to construct a new in-ground concrete pool and paid extra for an Aruba Sky NPT QuartzScapes finish. I wish I would have found this website before starting construction. The QuartzScape finish doesn't look like what we selected or as shown on the NPR website. The aggregate doesn't show through as much or look the same. It just looks like a dirty pool, which it was when we first finished it. That is my issue, and I'm trying to get the PC to fix it.
The PC doesn't think it is their problem. He says he can see the aggregate but it is really small. I asked him how we could make QuartzScape look better and fix it so it doesn't look like a dirty pool. Their suggestion is for me to drain the pool and they will do another acid wash. He wants me to pay for it for the acid wash. I have to fill the pool and anything else required after the acid wash as that is all they did before. They gave me two pool service companies who could do the regular cleaning and brushing for startup and the acid wash. They did not tell me it had to be brushed every day and the PSC did NOT brush it every day they should have known that and the PC should have made sure it was done. This is why I think it is the PC's problem. I got concerned about the finish during the first week and then looked at NPC start-up procedures online. That is when I found the pool had to be brushed twice a day for the first 28 days! Around the 10th day, I borrowed a brush and started brushing the pool twice a day and sometimes 3 times. During the startup, the had not been done yet. We had exposed lava rock and gravel around the pool. The trade winds blew a lot of dust into it, so the pool was very dirty.
I would appreciate any input on what happened and if you think I should be pushing for a completely new QuartzScape finish. That is what I feel needs to be done and not just an acid wash. And I don't feel I should pay any more for it.
Mahalo for any input.
Bill
I have attached 3 photos to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 39
Welcome to TFP.
I am sorry you found us due to this problem but hopefully we can provide some guidance on next steps.
First, do you know if the contractor that applied the Aruba Sky NPT QuartzScapes plaster is an approved applicator for this product? That can be found either on the contractors website on on the NPT website. The next step could be to call NPT and state you have a warranty claim and have them send a rep out to inspect. If the NPT rep agrees with your claim and the contractor was an approved installer of the product then they can work out a solution as to who pays what.

Doing another acid wash (assuming they did one after the plaster was installed) may help but it does remove some of the aggregate which may improve the look (remove any dirt/dust) but also removes some of the “life” of the plaster.

I think a call to NPT will start the process and determine the next steps based on their feedback.

Herman,
thank you for the reply, and the answers to your questions:
The PC is a qualified installer.
I tried to find a phone number for NPT. Not shown on their website or in my warranty paperwork. They ask you to email the request with a copy of the warranty, and all pool chemical results by a commercial water chemistry retailer. Glad I have all that.
They did do an acid wash the next day. After that, we started filling the pool.
I am putting my package to send to NPT.
thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.