Hyllgarth

May 17, 2023
Charlottesville, VA
Hi! Our fiberglass hot tub was just installed with an auto cover. I understand that it is normal to have some wrinkles in the cover but there is excessive fabric at the edges that doesn’t look right to me. It looks like it is too big (see photos). Does this look correct? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_7228.jpeg
    IMG_7228.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7227.jpeg
    IMG_7227.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7207.jpeg
    IMG_7207.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7205.jpeg
    IMG_7205.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I see what you mean. It does look a bit sloppy doens't it. However I don't use a cover and I'm not sure if they typically allow a little extra material (slack) for any specific reason. Hang tight as I'm sure many others will reply to assist. In the meantime, look around our forum and be sure to bookmark the Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Reactions: Hyllgarth
Wrinkles are common, especially on your first autocover. The company wants to err on the side of too much fabric rather than too little.

It's only a problem if the wrinkles become creases. Those may eventually leak, requiring patching. (If you don't have any extra fabric for patching, ask your builder or cover company for some.)

Once the original cover wears out and needs replacing, ask them to reduce the size in the appropriate dimension(s) by one inch. The next cover should look smoother.

The cover must mostly rest on the water surface or it can (usually will) pull the track off of the coping. Given the fluctuations in water level of a spa, I'm not sure you could get them to make one any smaller for warranty liability reasons. You'd have to convince the dealer to send in false measurements, which is unlikely without a waiver for the same liability reasons. Nobody wants to buy you a new cover and fix your coping for free because you don't like wrinkles.
Lower your water level an inch or 2, see if it goes away. If not, call the dealer, those things can slip anchors on the shaft and go loose in one spot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.