Problem reading daily Taylor Chlorine and PH Tests

Christiane

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2022
North Las Vegas Nevada
This is my problem: the colors in the test block are lemon yellow and pink each in various degrees, but when I add the testing drops the results are in a golden yellow and in red. I can never get a color match, and I am not able to translate the golden/red results to the lemon/pink colors. So I revert to do the chlorine drop test and using the PH meter. The latter is rather quick, but the chlorine test is not.
Is there an alternative daily check method I can use? I realize that this may be a small problem, but considering myself still a newbie and trying to get a handle on pool maintenance it is really bugging me.
Thank you.

Which kit do you have? The Chlorine drop test is more accurate anyway and I don't even bother with the yellow OTO test. It doesn't take that much more time, and the OTO test is really only good to test if you have chlorine at all, not how much is there. The pH test is more important to be able to read. Have you tried one less drop to see if that matches better? Some people have more luck with 4 drops. :) You can post a photo too, and we can see from that and try to help. Would be a good check against the pH meter.

Reactions: Dirk
Which kit do you have? The Chlorine drop test is more accurate anyway and I don't even bother with the yellow OTO test. It doesn't take that much more time, and the OTO test is really only good to test if you have chlorine at all, not how much is there. The pH test is more important to be able to read. Have you tried one less drop to see if that matches better? Some people have more luck with 4 drops. :) You can post a photo too, and we can see from that and try to help. Would be a good check against the pH meter.
Ditto and ditto. Ditch the OTO, use the FAS-DPD test. After a bit you'll find it's just as fast, and actually gives you the test result you need to properly chlorinate your pool. The OTO does not.

Four drops for pH. You'll see a big difference, and you'll be better able to match the colors. Taylor doesn't recommend this trick, but a lot of us do it anyway. I hold a white card behind the comparator while judging pH, and reflect my under-counter LED light off the card and through the colors. Give it a try.

And I don't test outside. I don't trust the variable lighting (clouds and time of day) nor the surrounding color interference from things in my yard. I test indoors in a room with no windows under a stable LED light source.

I can’t read the chlorine test so I use the drop test. I’m getting better at reading the Ph test and it matches up well with my local pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.