Problem: locations around pool has sand-like dirt collection

Re: Problem: locations around pool has sand-like dirt collec

If your current plumbing does not allow you to vacuum to waste, you can try to rig up a waste line with a backwash hose, a pool hose adapter or threaded pvc male fittings if the adapter is unavailable, and a band clamp. Your return will be either 1 1/2" or 2" pipes. Unscrew the eyeball fitting in the return and take it with you to the pool store. Use the threaded end to find the right size adapter. The adapter will screw in to the return line. Get the band clamp and the backwash hose. Pull the backwash hose onto the end of the adapter, fold over any excess hose to get a snug fit, and tighten the band clamp with a flat head screwdriver. Direct the backwash hose out of the pool and away from anything you don't want to get swamped with water. Lay the backwash hose flat so it doesn't have any creases or kinks. Hook up the vacuum and start cleaning. You will lose quite a bit of water this way, but whatever dirt comes out of the filter will not go right back into the pool. You can also hook up the garden hose and refill while you are vacuuming. It won't replace water as fast as it is coming out but it will help. Keep an eye on your water level and don't let it drop below the skimmer.

If you have more that 1 return you may want to set up a waste line for each one, or get a threaded plug and close it off.

Consider having a waste line plumbed between the pump and the filter when you have the filter replaced. If you pick a cartridge filter they may say you don't need a waste line, but if you ever need to empty water from the pool they are invaluable.

Sorry for being such a newbie, how do I "vacuum to waste"?

attaching a few pixs - i wonder if the first pix is what I should be looking at for "vaccuuming to waste"? If the pix is not clear, what it is showing is a pipe that ends abruptly (it branches off to the side from the valve, from the pump/filter system). Under it is "blue hose" that is currently unattached to anything.

Attachments

• pump system.jpg
    pump system.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 48
  • heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 48
  • bluehose.jpg
    bluehose.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 48

If you get the filter patched you should be able to clear it up nicely by Thrusday.

Your Multiport valve should have a waste setting, but if you get the filter patched I don't know that I'd worry about it. I'd just vacuum to filter and let the filter catch it.

Bama Rambler said:
If you get the filter patched you should be able to clear it up nicely by Thrusday.

Your Multiport valve should have a waste setting, but if you get the filter patched I don't know that I'd worry about it. I'd just vacuum to filter and let the filter catch it.

I've patched the filter hole with healthy dose of duct tape, am hoping it'll hold at least till I put a new filter system in place. Did another white sock test over the return, and definitely nearly no debris! The pool is looking much clearer now.

I'll check the multiport valve for "waste" setting - if I can find it (the words on valve are pretty worn out).

(edited: missed Bama Rambler's comments about checking multiport vale, changed my reply accordingly)

I love duct tape! You can do so many wonderful things with it! It does kind of look like you have a waste line, but its kinda hard for me to see the sideways picture. Just curious, how big is the hole in the grid?

Just one "square" on one of the filter grids. But it looks like it's about to be worn out in the same place in the other filter grids, causing the same problem. I don't know much about filter systems, but it seems this is some sort of inherent design flaw since it's wearing out in the same place for the other grids? Or maybe the filter grid set simply needs to be replaced, it's past end of its life.

I will throw in my two cents. The first time I started vacuuming small seed like objects from trees along the fence I thought I was doing a good job. I vacuumed a lot in the shallow end before deciding to stop for a little while. Once I stopped for a few minutes, the seeds started coming right back into the pool through the returns!

I then inquired on here about a solution and decided to use a skimmer sock and it has worked like a charm. It catches the seeds, but I just have to be sure to check it more often to keep it cleaned out while vacuuming. I hope that helps some!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.