Problem during pump motor install

techman65

Dec 12, 2013
Augusta, GA
Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing my pool pump motor and have run into a problem. I know I have the right pump ordered via Inyo Pools and have been following their how to guide. I removed the old motor and have the new one wired; however, for some reason when I go to connect the motor to the pump assembly, I can't get the bolts to line up correctly for some reason. I've been able to get two of the four bolts in but I can't get the other ones in to save my life.

Do those of you who have done this before have any tips to get it lined up correctly? Thanks

Here are a couple pics that may help. I am replacing a Hayward Super Pump motor with a Pureline model recommended by Inyo Pools. My biggest problem right now is that I can't get the bolts that attach the motor to the pump to line up correctly. I can get one or two in each time I try but no luck getting them all connected. Any thoughts or advice is welcome.PXL_20230423_193047627~2.jpgPXL_20230423_193022866.jpg

Thanks, James! They say a picture is worth a thousand words and that one surely did. I went back and made sure everything was oriented correctly and then everything lined up and my new motor is working as expected. Thanks again!

Reactions: JamesW
I thought I was home free on the pump, but have run into another issue. After running it for a few days, I noticed that the pump was leaking. I took it apart and checked the gaskets -- they seemed ok. I put everything back together and did not see the leak; however, I quickly noticed a smell like burning rubber. I immediately shut it off and let it sit for a bit. I took it apart again and this time I was not able to get the impeller off. I tried multiple times and even got my engineer son to help me to no avail. Went to Home Depot and got a strap wrench but had no success with that either.

Any ideas on what may be going on here, and how I might be able to get the impeller off? Thanks!

I have been trying to get as much torque on this thing as possible and still no luck. I somehow managed to break off the tips of a couple screwdrivers in the process. Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there anyway to safely cut off the impeller without damaging anything else? Maybe with a hacksaw or something like that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was able to break off the plastic part of the impeller and am left with the situation in the attached pic. How can I get the rest of it out? Thanks.
You should be able to use a 9/16" wrench on the back end of the shaft to hold it. When the new seal is installed, be sure the ceramic face is showing, not the rubber cup that seals it into the sealplate.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my pump motor just has a flathead slot on the back end of the shaft. I have tried using some vice grip plyers to hold the screwdriver and a channel lock on the brass end, but it just keeps spinning.

Yeah, that stinks.

I hate it when they only give you a stupid slot because you can never get any real grip.

What about behind?

Can you maybe find a spot inside?

Maybe Dremel cut the brass off?

1683587338085.png

1683587515620.png

Just wanted to send a last update on this one. I was not able to get the brass part off myself after trying lots of different things. However, I discovered a local machine shop and took the pump motor to them. They were able to grind the brass part off without damaging the drive shaft. Cost me $30 and saved me from having to buy a new motor. I replaced my impeller and shaft seal and everything is working great now. After so long with no pump, though, I am now in the midst of a SLAM to get my pool clear. Thanks to all who provided feedback on this thread!

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.