Pristine Blue to bbb

Once your FC is below 10 be prepared to adjust the pH and TA.... That is where I am at... My pH was at 8.0 after shocking and TA shot up to 140.... lots of acid being used right now!

Pool calculator is your best friend in this matter... just remember to set it up by entering your pool surface type, volume and what kind of chlorine source you are using. You will know exactly what to do.

Need a little help here, not sure on TA. It has taken a couple of days for FC to come down since shocking and would like to make neccesary adjustments. Using p/c effects I would add 22 oz. of acid to lower PH to 7.0, which would only drop TA by 8 ???
FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.5
CL 5
BR 10
TA 140
CYA 40
So would I be correct to do this, aerate to raise PH, and repeat till TA drops to suggested 100?
Thanks Jeff,

Getting a good bit of rain now. My Ph is up close to 8. Since I need to adjust , Should I drop it on down and try and lower my TA of 140, or just add enough M/A to maintain 7.5? Also, is it ok to continue adding bleach to maintain my FC of 3-7 while using the acid? Last night readings were
FC 4 added bleach to bring to 7
CC .5
PH 7.8 looked to be close to 8
TA 140 still
CYA 40
Pool is clearer than I have ever seen it, and I don't want to screw it up.
BBB ROCKS !!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jeff52 said:
I"ll assume that continuing to add bleach for FC is a no brainer. :oops:

Yup, just be sure to allow at least 15 minutes between acid and chlorine additions. They DO NOT mix well. 15 miniutes with the pump running should be enough to get the chlorine or acid mixed in well with your pool water.

I have had a sudden drop in CYA today and was hoping for some input. I just opened a new bottle of R-0013 from the same place I got my TF-100. I had also added M/A for the first time yesterday because of my higher PH and TA.
Weds. night
FC 4 added bleach
CC .5
PH 7.8
TA 140
CYA 40

Thurs. night
FC 5 added bleach
CC 0
PH 7.8 added 32 oz. M/A
TA 130
CYA 40

Fri. night
FC 4.5 added bleach
CC .5
PH 7.5 added 21 oz. of M/A
TA 120
CYA 25 added 22 oz. Stabilizer in sock in skimmer

I was wondering if was from the M/A ? New R-0013 ? Or maybe the extra rain we've had ? about 2 inches. Also does it look like I'm on the right track? Water still looks great.
Thanks Jeff,
P.S. Should this have been a new topic?

Jeff, repeat the CYA test. I doubt that the CYA dropped like that as the only way to reduce CYA is a water exchange (quickly) and (slowly) during season due to the aforementioned rain, splash out, water fills (so I have been told). Even 2" of rain would not reduce CYA and I would know as I had over 2" of rain dumped into my pool and my CYA hasn't moved from 65. Now the best thing to do is pull the stabilizer from the pool because if you were at 40 you were good there depending on your environmental conditions. Now, you may want to keep your FC using bleach or liquid chlorine at the high end of the recommended levels for CYA of 40 (7ppm). Because in a week you may see your CYA raise due to however much stabilizer dissolved since yesterday afternoon, maybe not much.

Now it could be you had old reagents or the new reagent is bad, or you tested incorrectly this test or the last few tests. Here's where you have to trust your gut. Did you dose your pool for CYA of 40?? Then you are probably at 40 because of the simple fact that CYA, as mentioned, is a long term stable chemical in your pool. It's a necessary evil, Jeckyll & Hyde. My CYA is 65 because I just got into the BBB Method last year after using pucks (constantly adding CYA) for three seasons prior.

The best thing to do is not overreact to tests that are "off" EXCEPT for FC which you should attack with a vengeance if it's below recommended levels in relation to CYA. Trust me, we are all guilty of it because we are the type of people who want concrete numbers and exact science, hence why we are here using a "calculator" to adjust our pool chemicals. Yeah, people may call me crazy, and I would have thought the same if I heard someone was using a "calculator" for their pool, but my pool is so freakin' clear it amazes anyone who sees it. And for that the naysayers can kiss me arse!!

Hope this helps!

I guess this is another lesson learned. The stabilizer had already dissolved this morn. I suppose CYA will be on the rise in a few days. Just tested.
FC 5.5
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA just under 40 (about 37)

In the future I"ll be more patient. Thanks for your response.
Jeff,

Although I tested it 2 times I must have got a bad reading. What worried me is that maybe I got a bad bottle of R-0013, until this morn. Last night I did mix what little was left from old to the test? This morn it was all new.
Jeff,

maxepr1 said:
Jeff you are leaving your kit inside in a cool place? Not outside?

Good question.

Now remember Jeff, you should probably keep your FC to the high side of recommended with a CYA of 40, like 7ppm or 8ppm. Now that your CYA will be rising you will need to "cover" that with FC. By the end of next week you may very well hit a CYA of 60, not the end of the world as long as you keep your FC at the very least above 5ppm. Just think "5 to 8" ... "5 to 8".
Take a couple of days off from worrying about pH and TA, you'll get them in line as the pool takes those days off too (from chemical additions other than chlorine). You'll get those in line soon enough as you may be a little overwhelmed by this information overload (But isn't it great? Knowledge is power!). And when you set out to adjust those, post some new test results, explain your position (rising CYA, recent switch from Pristine Blue, what chemicals you've added already, what the water looks like, etc.) and seek out more advice. May want to consider a new thread as you will be "digging" in this thread as we're already on page 2. Just a thought. I have a feeling that Borax is in your future as it will raise your pH but will not raise your TA as much as Baking Soda or Washing Soda.

PS - When you get a reading of say 37ish for CYA, you always round to the closest whole number, in this case 40. If it was say 32ish, then 30. I have 65 because the dot disappears right between 60 and 70, and I stared it down until it wilted under pressure :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.