Pristine blue help

Other than if you read their FAQ they say to use it with Pristine Blue to prevent green hair.
It says Pristine Clean is a sequesterant, not Pristine Clear.

Regardless, I wouldn't give them more money to fix the problem their product created. I would use Jack's myself, but any other sequesterant is better than sending Earth Science more money.

Pristine Clean is their sequestrant:

Pristine Blue said:
PristineClean® is a scale and metal inhibitor. It prevents metal and mineral particles that enter your water from bonding to walls and other surfaces.

I can't seem to find an SDS or MSDS for either though......

Dom

Pristine Clean is their sequestrant:

I can't seem to find an SDS or MSDS for either though......

Dom

Yeah, I looked too. The old links to them in another TPS thread are broke, and google was no help.

- - - Updated - - -

It says Pristine Clean is a sequesterant, not Pristine Clear.

Regardless, I wouldn't give them more money to fix the problem their product created. I would use Jack's myself, but any other sequesterant is better than sending Earth Science more money.

I agree on both counts...Clean and Clear are so close, might have the OP confirm it was Clear and not Clean.

Yeah, I looked too. The old links to them in another TPS thread are broke, and google was no help.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree on both counts...Clean and Clear are so close, might have the OP confirm it was Clear and not Clean.
Advanced Clear is what he had us using.
it was basically a bag of shock after every rain,
every 2 weeks:
1 brite stick
some muriatic acid usually 2 cups
14 oz blue
5 oz clear

So I put 1/2 gal of bleach in this morning. The pool needs some water so I am considering vacuuming it since it needs it today and draining halfway. Then refilling and hoping most of the copper is out. What do I put in then?
First things first, how do you plan to test?

Have you ordered one of the recommended test kits?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

The TF-100 is the best value for your money.

I would like for one of our members with metals experience to verify this, but I believe that you would want to sequester the copper first (to lift it off pool surfaces and get it suspended in the water) before you drain.

Dom

Great choice on test kit :testkit:

I think we might need to file "Swimmers Hair" right next to "Chlorine Lock". I love how they make up a name to explain away a problem they can't solve or in this case may cause.

As for draining, do as much as you can the first time as you'll get the most "blue" product out for your money. The more you're able to do the first time the better. If you do a half drain you're getting 50% out. If you do another half drain later you're only taking out 25% for the same cost to refill. Maybe getting 50% out will get the level low enough it doesn't cause any fabric or hair issues even without using a sequestrante ??
If you do a half drain and then over time with backwashing the filter you will get closer to zero metal in there.

Hopefully someone else knows at what level you need a sequestrante and you might have to go to a pool store to have them read the metals in your water to find out where you are at. I say that because I don't remember ever coming across a kit or someone testing their own metal/copper level. I could be wrong.

Just ordered the tf100 this am
Excellent choice that you will not regret.

Without proper test results it is going to be hard to tell you exactly what to add.

Would you be able to go to your pool $tore and have them check for metals? This will give us an idea of the severity of metals.

Don't let them talk you into buying anything, unless it's liquid chlorine.

Also could you please add your pool info to your signature?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

This will help others answer questions about your pool, without having to dig through the thread to find the info, like I just had to do to see that it is a 16 x 28 pool of unknown depth.

If the pool is a rectangle with 48 inches of average depth it holds 14,400 gallons.

If the pool is oval, at that same depth it would be 12,700 gallons.

For either configuration, it will take approx. 20oz of 8.25% sodium hypochlorite (aka laundry bleach) to raise your FC by 1ppm

I would continue to add 1/2 to 2/3 of a gallon (64-86oz) daily until your test kit arrives. Once you get your test kit please post a complete set of test results including:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Once we have that info, along with your copper test result, accurate decisions can be made.

Dom

Edit:
Have a read here about metals in the pool:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would like for one of our members with metals experience to verify this, but I believe that you would want to sequester the copper first (to lift it off pool surfaces and get it suspended in the water) before you drain.
Dom

Good question. I'm interested in finding that out too.

It's the opposite of getting ready to backflush. I try to remember not to add any chemicals if I know I'm going to be vacuuming and likely needing to backflush. Why treat the water I'm about to flush out into the yard ??

Good question. I'm interested in finding that out too.

It's the opposite of getting ready to backflush. I try to remember not to add any chemicals if I know I'm going to be vacuuming and likely needing to backflush. Why treat the water I'm about to flush out into the yard ??
My logic is that the sequestering chemicals purpose is to grab the copper into the water so both can be discarded, kind of like trash bags are bought to throw away LOL

Dom

My logic is that the sequestering chemicals purpose is to grab the copper into the water so both can be discarded, kind of like trash bags are bought to throw away LOL

Dom

Now I'm confused between clarifier and sequestrant. I thought a sequester simply isolates the ion by bonding to it but a clarifier works by bonding many ions together to make them bigger so that a filter can remove them. Will a sequestrant help filter or drain more copper ions? I didn't think so?

So I put 1/2 gal of bleach in this morning. The pool needs some water so I am considering vacuuming it since it needs it today and draining halfway. Then refilling and hoping most of the copper is out. What do I put in then?

Here were the readings from pool store today
free chlorine 0
ph 7.8
acid demand 1
alkalinity 100 ppm
calcium hardness 350 ppm
stabilizer 30 ppm
total dissolved solids 400 ppm
copper 0.4

Found a missing piece of the equation (I think). They do have a chlorine product so I don't think they expect the other products to replace chlorine like some claim but to work with their sanitizert, the PristineExtra.

"PristineExtra® contains 99% sodium di-chlor (granular chlorine). It is an effective shock treatment that can be used at start-up, routine maintenance or for troubleshooting as needed. It is a primary sanitizer."

"PristineBlue® is the cornerstone of the system. It is a blue liquid that is added to pools and spas at start up and topped off routinely."

"PristineClean® is a scale and metal inhibitor. It prevents metal and mineral particles that enter your water from bonding to walls and other surfaces."

"PristineClear® clears cloudy water in pools by bringing suspended particles together, enabling the filtration system to better remove the particles."

Still looking for the MSDS Products | PristineBlue

Found a missing piece of the equation (I think). They do have a chlorine product so I don't think they expect the other products to replace chlorine like some claim but work with it.

"PristineExtra® contains 99% sodium di-chlor (granular chlorine). It is an effective shock treatment that can be used at start-up, routine maintenance or for troubleshooting as needed. It is a primary sanitizer."

"PristineBlue® is the cornerstone of the system. It is a blue liquid that is added to pools and spas at start up and topped off routinely."

"PristineClean® is a scale and metal inhibitor. It prevents metal and mineral particles that enter your water from bonding to walls and other surfaces."

"PristineClear® clears cloudy water in pools by bringing suspended particles together, enabling the filtration system to better remove the particles."

Still looking for the MSDS Products | PristineBlue

Strange... Pool guy only had us using blue and clear

Sorry to say but now a days you need to be your own advocate in most everything. The days of knowledgeable employees has past. They are still out there but they are fewer and further between. Companies, IMHO in general don't care about employees and employees don't care about the company (or customer). I see a lot of that in the auto parts industry where they don't care if you know about cars as long as you'll take minimum pay, nice to have some car knowledge but not necessary as long as you can navigate their system to sell. I joke about Walmart needing to get a manager involved if you happen to pull a couple pennies out of your pocket to make your change come back without pennies after the person has already input your payment.

They had you running a pool with nothing to kill germs and organic matter. Thank heaven no one got sick. I think you mentioned in the first few posts you had been shocking ?? That was the only time the water had some disinfectant in it for a day or two :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.