Priming issues, air in bottom drain basket

Jul 19, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I think I might have a couple of issues with my pool.
Firstly I can't get good prime on the filter pump - there's a lot of air in the pump. Right in front of the pump is a motorized valve that selects either the spa or the pool. I have the issue with either source. I just replaced the shaft seal and o-rings on the pump and all looked ok but still no prime. Could the valve be letting in air?
In pool mode there is a second valve that selects between bottom drain and skimmer. The bottom drain has a separate collection canister with a sealed lid but I see a lot of air in there. I think there may be a blockage from the bottom drain, but does the air mean I have an underground leak? Is there a way to clean the pipes without draining the pool?
I also noticed that when I select the valve over to bottom drain only, I'm still getting some draw from the skimmer. Are these usually connected in some way or usually separate? The bottom drain canister has two entry pipes at the top, one exit at the bottom. Skimmer has two pipes at the base.
Pool is 10 years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the pump is sucking air then there is likely a suction leak. More here about tracking down a suction leak, Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Sometimes skimmers and drains are plumbed together. In the bottom of the skimmer there are usually two pipes the one away from the pool is normally plumbed back to the equipment pad and the one closer to the pool is either plugged or plumbed to the bottom drain.

You can try clearing plumbing lines by using a drain king or a plumber's snake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.