Previous Baqua-apostle now converting.... Here I GO!

If you want to put off replacing the sand that is alright. However, if you add CYA you ought to wait four or five days before you replace the sand.

In general, higher CYA levels mean you lose chlorine more slowly, even when your raise the FC level based on the Chlorine/CYA chart. However, using higher CYA levels has other disadvantages. Typically, it is worth going to a higher CYA level if you have a SWG or the pool gets extreme amounts of direct sunlight. Otherwise, it is usually best to keep CYA around 30 to 50.

Trouble in Paradise!

O.K. So I have not changed the sand yet but CYA was added last weekend to target 40ppm so I can sneak up on 50ppm. Stabilizer dissolved in sock in 2 days. Just out of curiosity, i tested cya tues. and got 40ppm. This evening, my test showed less than 30ppm. Does cya false test higher at first? Is this counter intuitive? It did rain today, but not heavily.

Also, I previously achieved CL loss of 1ppm and no CC 2x. I've been letting the FC drop to REc. level. Here's the question:

This a.m. FC-6
CC-.5

This p.m. FC-3
CC-1.5

There was no sun today so I did not expect to lose 3ppm much less have more CC. CC had been at .5 or 0 consistently for a week. Does this change indicate possible algae or is it likely BacQ. residue remaining in sand?

Should I shock again or just dose up to FC/CYA chart until I change sand? H2O still crystal clear.

Thank folks.

You should have changed the sand before you added CYA. It can hinder the conversion process. Go ahead and raise it back up to shock level, according to your 30 CYA. Not sure why you got different readings - did you do the test in the same place (indirect lighting, preferably indoors). When the FC is holding overnight again and the CC drops, change out the sand soon. Wait to add any additional CYA till after you change the sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.