Preventing bolt rusting of cover lid equipment

spud

Jul 20, 2016
Chapel Hill, NC
I have two automatic Coverstar covers that were installed in 2007 so they are at 17 years. Each cover bin where the auto cover winds into (and houses the motor and rope pulley system) has a series of two components for holding the stone pavers on top: brackets bolted to the cement wall and bracket arms that connect into the brackets that hold stone pavers (see pics). The brackets bolts are rusting and the bracket arms bolt that adjusts the level of the arm and screws into the arm is also rusting. The brackets and arms are aluminum. I'm assuming the bracket bolt is steal but not stainless steel (although I'm not sure). The arm has a bolt that is also rusting and I'm guessing is also steal (NOT stainless steel). These are expensive (over $150 per bracket and arm combo) and I have 23 of them - yikes. I think they make a stainless steel version which is even more expensive, but I'd like to try to reuse as many of my aluminum brackets and arms as possible. I use liquid chlorine as my sanitizer.

My question is why are these bolts rusting so bad, and upon replacement, how to prevent this corrosion in the future. In the first few years there didn't seem to be a problem. But the bracket bolts are terribly rusted now and most of the arm's internal bolts are rusted. They are so rusted that I can't move the bolts - they need to be cut. One arm bolt broke off from the rust (see pictures) and is rendered useless. I'm guessing there is some chemical reaction occurring between the aluminum brackets and arms and their respective steel bolts. Would stainless steel bolts with aluminum brackets solve this? Do they need to be bonded?

IMG_6182.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6179.JPG
    IMG_6179.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6177.JPG
    IMG_6177.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6172.JPG
    IMG_6172.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 9