Pretty much finished Radiant Metric install in MN

I came across your post as I am replacing a 19 year old 27' dia. AGP. I am leaning toward the Radiant Metric having talked to a local "Big Box" dealer (although I prefer not to do business with based on previous experience). Perhaps you can help me with a few questions.
1) You mentioned purchasing through an authorized online dealer. Could you provide the dealer names as I have been unable to locate one.
2) I am concerned about the size of the skimmer fitting being too small to handle such a large pool. Have you had any issues?
3) I noticed your return line is away from the skimmer. How did you accomplish this as the instruction manual shows the return and skimmer cutouts on the same wall panel.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I replied to the above poster via PM but I wanted to post here in case anyone else had questions.

1. We purchased from patiostore.com. They were very easy to deal with and worked directly with Radiant to customize things exactly as we wanted them.
2. We have never had a problem with the skimmer box being too small. I guess that could be contingent on how many trees are nearby but we have some and have quite a few leaves in the fall and it was fine. Of course you need to clean the basket more often in the fall or it would back up, but I'd think that's the case with any pool.
3. We had Radiant drill the second return for us but it is easy enough to do yourself with a hole saw. I think they did it for free but you have to pay for the second eye.

There was one other online dealer but I can recall their name. Their prices were identical to Patio Store and Patio Store was great to deal with so I doubt it matters. The dealer contacts Radiant and hammers out the details of what you need/ customizations, then you order through the dealer. Radiant is great too. I forgot the guys names there but they are more than willing to help and even after 15 minute newbie calls would tell me to call back if I needed anything else.

I too am looking at a Metric pool. I like the idea of being able to bury it and make it look like an inground pool with the walk in steps. Can I ask why you put the foam board in the bottom and have you had a problem with it denting.

Hi, love your build! I have a couple questions if you don't mind. Did you build your deck up to the top rail of the pool or does it go over the top rail? If it just goes up to, is the pool and top rail sturdy? IMO, people will stand on the rail. Do you still like the radiant metric? Is there anything you would suggest to others in addition to the manual as far as the build and maintenance?

I have a brand new really big cheap pool, now that it's up, we found that when you're on a float you can look over the fence. We also want a deck, but don't want to be on display when standing up. Our pool can not be semi above ground, because it can't be back filled. I came across the radiant and read some reviews, sounds like this will be what we'd really want.

Thanks!!

Very nice! I love the size of your deck. Lots of room for entertaining spaces, yet all together at the same time.

Ours is large, but is broken up because it was done in stages... stage 1 at move in to have a nice place to eat outside, stage 2 steps down to fire pit, stage 3 a couple of steps up in another direction to the pool deck.

why did you leave such big gaps between the insulation pieces?
why not insulate right to the curved edge (lots of cutting) and then put your cove on top of insulation?

radiant looks like a very high quality pool and your install looks fantastic. i'm glad you're having such fun!

nfusion770,

Noticed your last post was in 2012, its now March 2015 and how is the pool doing for you now.. I'm looking at replacing my 12 yr old 33' round steel resin coated pool this spring. Any pro vs cons you can think of or anything you would do different if you had to do over?

Thanks, John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the positive comments everyone.

The 33' Radiant Metric is $7100 at the two authorized online retailers. We did some preliminary investigation of pools last year and one of the first ones we saw in a showroom was the Radiant Metric. The pool itself was a few thousand more in store and since I was going to building the deck (with my carpenter friend) I decided to put that cash toward excavation/ deck foundation work. The insulation idea made sense and installation seemed pretty simple so it was always the one we were pretty much fixated on. This is our first pool (grew up on a lake) and, while I don't have a lot of experience with pools, we liked the clean look, the insulation and the easy install compared to the other models we saw.

We installed it ourselves. I hired out the excavation and 22 deck footers as I also had to have a 20x30 garage pad poured and it was marginally more expensive to have them take care of all the foundation work. They leveled the space within half an inch and then I created a paver/ paver base collar around the perimeter (as seen in one of the photos) and installed the pool. I had a lot of help. I hired a friend who is a carpenter (who works cheap for me :D) to do the deck framing, my brother in law is an electrical contractor (I dug a trench and paid the bills and he did all the electrical), and 2 of my brothers helped out- one a jack of all trades/ amateur plumber and the other used to own and irrigation/ landscaping company (rerouting sprinklers etc). That and I did a bunch of research, called Radiant a few times (very helpful) and asked a few pointed questions on TFP to fill in the gaps.

It turned out almost exactly as we had planned- what more could we ask for, right?

I also live in Minnesota and have been thinking about getting a freeform metric pool. Would you still recommend a radiant pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.