Pressure test poly pipe

ChristianK

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2022
Somerset, New Jersey
I want to pressure test my underground pool plumbing. I think my underground pipe is black poly pipe (see picture) . It doesn't look like flexible PVC. I assume the grey coupler has barbs going into the poly pipe, and since this is a 30+ year old pool, I probably shouldn't try to take the barbed fitting out (it is not leaking at that spot).

I have assembled a pressure testing rig (garden hose adapter, shut-off valve, pressure gauge) which has 1 1/2" schedule PVC coming out of it.

I'm wondering what the best way is to tie into the suction and return lines to hook up my pressure tester, and how to temporarily connect to the 1 1/2" PVC of my pressure tester. For the return line, could I take out the SWG and connect my pressure tester with a CMP union to the SWG connection? For the suction lines, would I have to remove my pump to be able to tie in after the 3-way valve?

The white flex PVC pipe in the picture is not connected, I think it is placed under the pool to pump out ground water in case I need to drain the pool.
I'm planning to test to about 12 psi using pressure from a garden hose. I will plug the return, skimmer and drain with screw in caps.
Any suggestions on how to best plumb this?

Thanks

Christian
overview.pngpoly pipe.pngcoupler 1.pngpressure tester.png

If you want to do a pressure test of your plumbing, I think you have the right plan.

For the return side you can disconnect the SWG and connect your pressure test rig to it. Plug returns at the pool side.

For the suction side, you'll want to connect it before or after the 3-way valve depending on if you want to try and isolate individual lines or not.

What are you experiencing that makes you think you need to pressure test? Do you have water loss or are you losing prime and getting a lot of air in the plumbing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.