Pressure Problem

ETBlinkerman

May 13, 2024
Lancaster County, PA, USA
I have owned three homes; each one had a pool. Our current situation is a 20k gallon in-ground pool with a Hayward DE filter and a 1 1/2 Hp pump. the equipment is at least 10 years old, and I have owned this place for 8 years.
Start-up has always been fairly easy: uncover pool, water level OK, set up pump and filter, and start the system.
This year, things aren't working out.
It all seemed to start up without incident. The system builds pressure (about 14 psi with the proper amount of DE). When I turn the valve to have the pump draw from the skimmer only, pressure starts to drop. If I turn the valve to draw from the bottom only or to draw from both the skimmer and bottom, everything is fine.
There are no obstructions in the skimmer. Water does flow from the bottom of the skimmer to the pump. Water level is to the top of the skimmer.
I can't vacuum my pool, because as soon as I try to draw only from the skimmer, pressure drops like a rock.
Any thoughts or helpful suggestions?
Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Even though you appear to have confirmed water pull from the skimmer, it sure sounds like there's still something in that skimmer line. Either that or an air leak in that line. Could you post some pics of the equipment pad for us to see? Might help.