Pressure loss to pool

Jun 2, 2015
South Park
I have a Hayward EC-45 earth filter. Since opening the pool several days ago we have been having issues losing water flow back to the pool as it's very low after running the filter for about an hour and a half. At first we just figured it was because the water was green and we had to just get the water cleared up and take care of the filter along the way. We were basically bumping and back washing the filter in order to keep it running so we could add our chemicals. But again we only had good flow for about an hour and a half before having to bump or back wash. We now have the water pretty well cleared up but our filter is still acting the same even after a thorough cleaning of the fingers as well as soaking them in muratic acid for 6 hours. After put back together and earth added the pressure was like a raging rapid when you start the filter up and after 90 minutes, time to bump the filter. When I went to do it today there was very little resistance when I pulled down to bump it. This seemed strange to me so when I went back to do it the next time, I just shut the filter off for 30 seconds and restarted it without bumping it and it roars like a raging rapid. I'm totally stumped here, please help.

I'm sure I could get that when I get home as the water was tested at the pool store and the p.h.level was good and no algae present. We are treating water for a little bit of phosphates in the water. Is that normal to have such low pressure going into the pool and do nothing but shut off the filter for 30 seconds and then turn it on and have great pressure again just like that.

The "bump" you are giving the filter temporarily dislodges the collected debris from the grids, but as you have found out, it resettles back onto the grids quickly.

Your problem is not the filter but your water. I don't know how to say it differently.

Therer is no test for algae, phosphates are not relevant. Without tyest results, I am guessing but I'll bet you have no chlorine or inadequate chlorine. Chlorine is the key to keeping your pool clean.

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

I'm not giving it the " bump ", I'm just turning the filter off for 30 seconds and then restarting it and it's as good as new but there does seem to be a lot of air bubbles whenever you re-start the pump. That's what is confusing to me. If you say it's the water I will go in that direction I just don't understand why turning off filter and then turning it back on without doing anything else gives me a strong pressure for an hour and half that's all. No offense intended, just was confused by that.

I'm just turning the filter off for 30 seconds and then restarting it
That's the "bump". When you do that the water suddenly stops flowing within the filter and it will "jar" or dislodge a layer of debris that has accumulated on the top of your sand bed.

Watch your psi next time you shut the pump off. If your filter is dirty, most always the psi will be a little less when you restart the pump.....all as a result of dislodging that layer of fine debris.

Daveyboy. The formula is simple

1 add your pool and equipment in your sig
2 post test results and pictures
3 do what these great people here tell you to do and don't listen to the guy at the pool store who just got out of prison or is on break from school

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.