Pressure Gauge?

May 25, 2012
West Georgia
First off, I Love the site. A lot of fantastic info and I've learned quite a bit on what I may be doing wrong. I'm definitely going to get on the BBB method next season.

Anyway, I'm wondering if you use a well pump pressure gauge for a pool pump? The reason I ask is that I've purchased one two different times to replace my current gauge that isn't getting a reading. I took the first replacement back b/c I thought it was defective, but the second isn't getting a reading either. So I'm wondering if it is the gauge type, or is there something in my lines that would prevent the gauge from getting a reading. The flow is strong and everything seems to be pumping fine.

Have to ask ... why wait until next season to start?

The BBB method is really just about understanding your water chemistry and only adding chemicals that your pool NEEDS, thus saving money over what a pool store wants to sell you.

You can be on the BBB method and use any form of sanitation you want ... you just have to understand what you are adding and why.

Well my CYA is sky high as in my Taylor kit only goes to 100 ppm and my water level in the test tube is a quarter inch below that, so I would have to replace at least 60% of my water. My pool only gets partial sun so it would be a few weeks before my water temp gets back to 80+, which is the minimum for my wife to get in. Plus I've already got around 50# of granular shock since I stocked up before I found this site.

I got bad advice when I bought my house, the guy just told me to brush and vacuum once a week and use granular shock, 2#s a week and if you see algae start to creep up, shock it, brush and run the pump until you don't see it anymore. I'll admit, I've never really had and clarity problems using this method, but I'm constantly fighting light algae blooms and I go through about 100#s of shock a season.

Isaac-1 said:
Pool company branded gauges are notoriously bad, a well pump gauge should work, in general any gauge in the right pressure range rated WAG (water, air, gas) will work.

Thanks for the reply. Why do you think 2 well pump gauges aren't giving a reading then? Maybe a bad batch from home depot? Is there something that could be happening that lets the water flow fine, but not give a pressure reading?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.