kawisser

Sep 1, 2022
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Newbie here - I'm trying to figure out a schedule for my Pentair SuperFlo VSP. The builder set it to run at 2500rpm 24/7 and he told me I can just leave it there, but I want to understand my numbers and fine-tune it anyway. First step for me is to calculate the flow by measuring pressure and vacuum from the ports on my pump. I bought a couple "standard" gauges but the ports on the pump are so low to the ground that I don't have enough room to screw in the gauges. Can I just connect my gauges to a hose and then connect the hose to the pump ports? Will that still give accurate readings?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I suppose this is one of those topics you can experiment with or make things as easy (or difficult) as you wish. Running 24/7 is fine for many, but generally we recommend running pumps on the lowest rpm allowable to support water surface skimming, vacuuming, SWGs, heater, etc. I'll place a link about pump run time below for your reference. I'll also tag @mas985 for some expert advice on your question specifically.

Be sure to update your signatture as that can drive the replies you receive. Also visit our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

You may be over thinking your pump run schedule. The pump serves to distribute chemicals and skim the surface of debris. If you have a salt water generator that will also determine pump run time. Some can get by with a four hour run every 24 hours. Running the pump for a period long enough to turn over the volume of the pool is not a requirement although you will still hear this advice.

Newbie here - I'm trying to figure out a schedule for my Pentair SuperFlo VSP. The builder set it to run at 2500rpm 24/7 and he told me I can just leave it there, but I want to understand my numbers and fine-tune it anyway. First step for me is to calculate the flow by measuring pressure and vacuum from the ports on my pump. I bought a couple "standard" gauges but the ports on the pump are so low to the ground that I don't have enough room to screw in the gauges. Can I just connect my gauges to a hose and then connect the hose to the pump ports? Will that still give accurate readings?
Yes, as long as the gauge is at the same elevation as the pump.

But you really don't need to know flow rate. Forget everything you were told about turnover. It just isn't relevant.

The setting of RPM should be based upon the task at hand. SWGs, Heaters, Skimmers all have minimum flow rates which is more accurately done by trial and error. Reduce RPM until the SWG alarms, heater alarms and/or water goes around the weir door instead of over it. Then add 200 RPM for margin.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.