Prepping for Borate addition- TA starting point?

basod

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2015
Mount Cheaha Alabama
I've accumulated 15 boxes of 20 Mule Team and 5gal of MA figured I'd try to shoot for the low end of 30ppm borates
Current test results:
FC 5.5
CC 0
pH 7.3
TA 80
CH 175
CYA 35

I rarely have to adjust pH or TA but want to test out the side benefits of borates i.e. Algaecidal properties and reduced FC consumption plus "the feel"

So should I drop TA down to 50 or just roll with where I'm at?

You want the TA to be at your goal before borates are added, because it's more difficult (but not impossible) to adjust after. If you are happy with the current TA, there is no reason to adjust it.

I added half of everything last night 7 borax boxes and 2gal MA. Funny thing was after adding I noticed the light refraction changed and the pool looked sparkly. My GF was sitting poolside and we apparently were thinking the same thing as she commented on it as well.
The test strips showed ~15ppm borates as expected.

pH was high 8.2 this morning so adjusted down to 7.2 waited to add additional batch until this pm.

I swam a couple times and noticed a salty taste on my lips- never noticed before is this normal?

added the remaining half a couple hours ago, pH went a bit low 7.1

Full set of results I did add a gallon of 10% chlorine last night as it had drifted down to 4.5 last night

FC 6.5
CC 0
pH 7.1
TA 70. Dropped a bit
CH 175
CYA 35

Nothing there that tastes salty. Your pool probably just passed the point of a saltiness level that you can taste. All pools have salt in them and many things add salt to pools like all types of chlorine, muriatic acid, tap water, people ... Most pools have 1000ish or more PPM of salt.

Nothing there that tastes salty. Your pool probably just passed the point of a saltiness level that you can taste. All pools have salt in them and many things add salt to pools like all types of chlorine, muriatic acid, tap water, people ... Most pools have 1000ish or more PPM of salt.
Thanks for the additional insight. I knew about the salt accumulation but have never tested as I'm non SWG pool and have never tested for it but may grab some strips to see where I'm at.
I figured that much MA- Hcl and that gallon of chlorine last night might have pushed me over the salt edge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.