Preparing the pool for a special event

Re: CYA in indoor pool

Linn <<<< coolest mom EVAH!
I love that you're doing this!
Honestly, I'd want to chaperone to be part of the festivities! Ive always wanted to do a "trash the dress" event!

I haven't read the entire thread, but here are my thoughts -
1. Get some of the heavy duty wood hangers, some XL binder clips, and some really cheap WHITE cotton wash cloths or towels and cut them into 3x3 squares, a box fan or two, and CLEAR garbage bags.

Obviously, a standard hanger isn't going to suffice for hanging a large heavy dress. Not even thick plastic ones will hold.
You can use the binder clips to hold the strapless gowns onto the hangers, but use the cut pieces of towels under the clips to prevent any damage. You can also use the clips to spread out the full bottoms of dresses on a clothes line.

Have the fans set up to blow on the clothes lines so they get dryer faster.

Upon going home hand out the clear garbage bags. Having them clear will prevent any mix ups and someone grabbing the wrong bag to take home. (We get clear lawn bags at Home Depot if you can't find garbage bags.)

You may want to consider looking at oriental trading or the dollar tree website for extra flip flops to have on-hand. Shoes usually come off AT prom. No way folks are going to want to wear them all night, and I understand your concern.

Don't think I'd let shoes go into the water. I'm sure all the kids think they're great swimmers and have little concern about the weight of the dresses. But fact be known, some of them at least will likely struggle a bit. The last thing someone needs is to have their eyeball poked out by a stiletto! You have that many folks jumping into a pool at once and it's bound that someone will get a kick in the face or at least an arm.

I'd encourage all jewelry to be removed. The glue that holds pearls and stones into settings is likely to give way to water. Add in that there is chlorine in the water, and you're going to have yellowed pearls and such.

I'd have zip lock bags, handled brown grocery bags (think Trader Joes) and a couple sharpie markers available for kids to put their stuff in, then write their names on the bags.

I'd think about setting up a video camera in an elevated corner of the pool area. Will make for a really neat video where you can fast forward and condense the entire party into a 60 second clip. Plus, you won't miss a single still picture if you have one that's reasonable quality as you can freeze frame a neat moment and screen shot it for the pic.

I'd hope most of the kids are going to bring an overnight bag with a swimsuit, pajamas and a change of clothes with them. They're not going to want to stay in the formal duds after they're soaked for max an hour, I'd think.

May want to consider everyone going through their closets and pulling out sports type (elastic waist band) shorts, tshirts (make sure some are colored so you don't have girls running around like they're in a white wet tshirt contest. I'd put all the items in a box or clothes basket in a bathroom. Anyone who forgot clothes can be direct to the bathroom to go through the box and find something to put on. Also have some of the clear garbage bags in there so they're not dragging wet clothing across your house dripping wet. Also have towels available for drying off in the bathroom.

20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
Approx 38k gal
Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
Sand filter
DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

Thanks for many practical suggestions ! The idea of extra strength hangers is a good one. Some of those dresses will be very heavy when they're soaked. I know that at least some of the girls have dresses that have several layers and some of them have heavy materials as well. Others are really light ones and I think some will have simpler dresses as well. Usually at her school there is quite a spread in what they will wear, from quite simple dresses that are probably wash and wear anyhow to really sophisticated fancy ones that look like they're from some extremely formal event. I hope that the weather will be such that things dry reasonably quickly and there's a good chance for that. That way they won't bring a bucketful of water with them upon going home...

As for shoes my guess would be that at least some of them may want to wear them at least for the dance part. I know myself that if I'm at a formal function where I'm wearing a long gown and high heels I pretty much need to keep them on, as my dress will have the length to fit that and if I take them off I will be stepping on my dress all the time. I know that some of them,like my daughter (the one going to prom now I mean) will have really high heels so that could be an issue. I think it's very different with different girls there - some hardly ever wear heels and will get sore feet pretty soon and ditch their shoes, others are used to wearing high heels and won't have a problem with it. When it comes to jumping in with their high heels on, well I think I'll leave that up to them. Our pool is safe even with extreme stilletos, as it's a concrete pool. My guess is that most of them will take their shoes off first, some may want to keep them on, and some may get pushed in or so without having a chance of taking them off (has happened to me at some poolside parties...). With regard to jewellry I think I'll pass on the warning to them to check what they've got on and take it off if they're in any doubt that it can handle it. It also saves me the job of trying to retrieve small things like that. But I won't be standing there checking exactly what they've on or not so the final choice will be up to them. The number one rule for the pool and one that I will do my best to enforce is that there's no diving. Our pool is too shallow for that to be safe and that's clearly a safety issue.

Clear garbage bags for going home is a good suggestion as well. I'd already thought of the bags, but not of the fact that clear bags makes it easier to see that they're all bringing home their own clothes and not someone elses. Thanks !

The camera thing that you mentioned, well we do have a security camera in the room, but that one has really low resolution, it won't give any good pictures as such. We put it in years ago when the kids were really young to watch that they wouldn't get in there on their own. The rule back then was to keep the pool room locked, but if someone would forget that it was an extra safeguard to be able to watch the pool room from a couple of other places in the house. Today all are kids are good swimmers so that is no problem.

Yeah they have been told to bring an onvernight bag. I surely don't think that they want to go home in their wet stuff (though that's what I had to do when we went to the beach after prom.. :) ). We plan on letting them rest a bit if they need it, then we'll serve them breakfast, and after that most of them will be picked up by their parents.

You mentioned that you liked the idea of a "trash the dress" event. Well, this one comes close to that in a way, though here the intention is not to ruin their dresses, more to let them have fun in them. I realize that there may be some dresses that get ruined, but that happens at every prom event, pool or no pool. They will manage to step on them, rip them, spill something on them and so on. But I think most of the dresses will survive the event ok. As for the "trash the dress" concept, I like the idea when they do it in a nice and fun way, using their dresses for having fun, but I'm not so fond of those where they make it a point that they have to ruin the dress, like where they cut it up or rip it apart on purpose or like that. I know some who have had "trash the dress" sessions, most of them just got wet and some of them got beautiful pictures, and I know one bride who had a fun food fight with her husband. But ripping them apart seems pretty meaningless and won't give any nice pictures either. One exception though: one of my nieces had her wedding dress ripped to pieces, by her husband, as part of their wedding night...but that's a whole different story... :)

Last edited:
Linn, I want to address the girl's dreses.......Get some dark colored, silky fabric samples to throw in the water to show how they will react to the water. That will put the other moms mind at ease as far as the coloring. The boys on the other hand...do NOT let them take rented tuxes in!

I LOVE that you are doing this! I hope you have thought about the amount of food you are going to need!!! LOL

Now a word about what they will try (been there, done that) do NOT let them come and go....Once they leave they stay gone........They WILL have alcohol out in the cars and go out to sip on it :( Ask me how I know LOL

hugs! :hug:

Kim :cat:

Hi Kim ! I did a test like that today. I had a bunch of pieces of leftover material from making alterations to some of my dresses in the past and I tested soaking some of them in the poolwater. They were quite a mix, but mostly more formal type materials, like silk, satin, velvet and similar. All the silky ones came out fine, so did some tafetta ones. Out of the 14 that I tested only ONE had a problem with the water. That one was a black velvet material and it dyed heavily right upon contact with water. It didn't look ruined afterwards, but I soppose if something dyes off to that extent it could mess up whatever you have underneath. But I think the test should lessen any worries about water damage to their dresses. It's not very likely that anyone would wear black velvet to prom this year in my opinion.

Linn

That is awesome! I am good for something lol

Kim:cat:

You come up with many good ideas here ! :) I've saved the test results in case any mom is in dobt to as whether the dresses will survive the event. Anyhow, I'm sure some dresses will get ruined, but that would be the case pool or no pool. Most girls that age have any experience of wearing really formal outfits and don't know how to walk or dance in them. Like they'll poke their heels through their skirtsand rip their dresses down there or they'll
kick their shoes off, step on their dresses and rip them at the waist... or they'll spill something on them or so. None of my prom dresses got totalled at the prom but I at least one of them has a hole in the skirt.

hehe I tend to throw ideas out there and see what sticks!

SO when is this event??

It's on May 28. So that's when we'll see how all this works out. Though I'll probably be so exhausted afterwards that it will take me a few days before I can write back and tell you how it really went. :) I think it will be fun but exhausting. The main thing though is that the kids will have great fun and that everyone stays safe that night.

It's getting close and there are still things to plan and to fix ! hree friends of my daughter (the promgoer that is) are coming here next weekend. They're all going to try on their dresses and practice how to walk, sit and dance in them. Our girl has been to formal events before, but I'm not sure about the others. It could be a different experience for them ! :) They're not going to practice swimming in them though... I've got to figure out what I'm to wear myself as well - with all the running around I don't want to wear a dress that I'm melting in. At the same time I shouldn't look like the teenagers either.

Would it take too much attention from the festivities if you and a couple moms pulled out the ole prom dresses or a bridesmaid dress and surprised them by jumping in yourselves?

I'm not suggesting you wear the dresses the entire time, but have them on-hand just in case it seemed appropriate to do.

Approx 38k gal
Sand filter

Hi Linn,

In the very first post of this thread, you mentioned you were having some issues with the pump for the Muriatic acid. Does a pool company maintain that pump for you? Or, do you replace that yourself? I'm wondering where I could find a pump that can handle that acid, or a pump for liquid chlorine, and you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Would it take too much attention from the festivities if you and a couple moms pulled out the ole prom dresses or a bridesmaid dress and surprised them by jumping in yourselves?

I'm not suggesting you wear the dresses the entire time, but have them on-hand just in case it seemed appropriate to do.

Approx 38k gal
Sand filter

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier we are planning to be in formal dresses as well, though there is no way I could use any of my prom dresses - I'm not big, but I'm not at my high school sizes any more...the dress would rip I'm sure. I'm pretty sure we'll get wet as well, but I wouldn't think we'd be the first ones in. But we've had a number of poolparties and been to quite a few other ones as well and it seems like more often than not I end up in the drink... either voluntarily or quite often because there are "helpful" ones that make sure you won't miss out on a swim.. :smile: If it's a pool party where swimming is planned and part of the program I'll of course bring a swisuit, but many times when it's not it gets that way anyhow. I don't mind as long as the temperature is right. I and my husband love water, that's why we have a pool, and if I'm going to a party where there's a pool I know to be prepared, to have some extra clothes in the car, plus that I've a waterproof phone, got a little waterproof pouch for my carkeys and so on. I've learned my lessons.. :smile:

Good will to find the UGLIEST Bridemaids dress you can find to jump in the pool with! Then just change into comfy shorts and shirt. You are the mom and should be comfy and able to move around.

Well I've a number of formal dresses, but I'm not sure of which is the best one to wear for this. In order to be reasonably practical it should be a dress that's not too poufy (hard if I need to move around a lot), not too tight (same reason), not too hot and also one that still looks decent even when wet, that doesn't turn revealing or so. Sleeveless dresses would be risky in that respect. And from the fabric tests I know that my black velvet dress would possibly dye me black as well. I think that that one would be too warm anyhow, otherwise it is a quite comfortable one to wear. A practical problem with all my formal dresses is that they're hemmed for me to wear like 4" heels, if not I'll step on them. I'm short, like a foot shorter than my husband, so I normally wear high heels when I'm dressed up. I'm quite used to that, but being on high heels for that many hours could be a bit too much, esp. if I need to run around a lot. I think that I'll stay in my dress for a while, unless I get into the pool early on. If I get wet I guess I'll change into something more comfortable after a while - running around all night in a soaked dress would work too well with all the things I'll have to look after.

Hi Linn,

In the very first post of this thread, you mentioned you were having some issues with the pump for the Muriatic acid. Does a pool company maintain that pump for you? Or, do you replace that yourself? I'm wondering where I could find a pump that can handle that acid, or a pump for liquid chlorine, and you may be able to point me in the right direction.

No we've looked after the pumps ourselves so far, but this is the first time that we've any more serous trouble with either of them. Whether it can be repaired or needs replacement I don't know yet, but I was told that those pumps may often need new seals after some time. We're a bit uncertain as to whom to contact regarding this, as we don't know the origin of the pumps. With the previous owner of the house being dead there is nobody to ask. A neighbour told me that he'd been told that the guy brought the automatic system over from Europe. He'd lived in Germany for a few years and had run a small hotel there. That one had to be closed as the ground was need for some freeway project and he closed it up and went back home. But he brought some gear along, among that was the automatic chemistry system. It has two pumps, both probably a bit oversize for this pool, but they are adjustable: there is one setting for quantity per stroke and one for the stroke freqúency. When I called around a bit I found out that there as basically two cathegories of pumps for muriatic acid and for chlorine: one type are a bit more heavy duty, like the ones we have, and are pretty expensive ($ 1000 - 2000 per unit) and mostly used for public pools. The other type hooks right into a hose for the chemical, cost much less and are mostly for private pools. Now we've been too busy with this after prom party to check into the pump issue all that much, but we'll do that as soon as the party is over.

Well, we've had a fashion show here today, with the four girls trying on their dresses and testing to walk, sit and dance in them ! They look so elegant. :) For one of them it was the first time ever to dress up like that and she needed a bit extra practice. They're all wearing higher-than-practical heels and they're not used to the fact that you can't see your feet if you're e.g. passing up or down stairs. But it worked out fine, nobody tripped or hurt themselves or so. They're looking so much forward to it all, but they'll have to wait a couple of weeks still. They also added a whole number of suggestions for decorating the Place, as well as for setting things up.

How sweet is that! Is she going to practice with the shoes at home also?

The memories, oh the memories you and yours will be helping them make! This will talked about for a LONG time!

Thanks for letting us share in the fun!

Kim (grateful for a "pool" forum that allows us to talk about and have fun with this kind of stuff)

How sweet is that! Is she going to practice with the shoes at home also?

The memories, oh the memories you and yours will be helping them make! This will talked about for a LONG time!

Thanks for letting us share in the fun!

Kim (grateful for a "pool" forum that allows us to talk about and have fun with this kind of stuff)

Yes they practiced with their full outfits, shoes and all. But they may need more practice so maybe they'll do it again before the big day or continue at home. They'd everything on, the only difference compared to when it will be for real was that they didn't have their hair and nails fixed and other details like that. Their walking was a bit wobbly at first, but it improved gradually. Plus that they discovered that in huge dresses you have some other problems as well - e.g. going to the bathroom is not all that easy... :)

Yep, I hope they'll have a great time and I'm sure that they'll all remember this for many years to come. This is the first one of the kids going to prom - but I cant promise that we'll be able to put this on for all of them. With my sisters kids now living here there are nine of them all together and most of them will go to prom twice. It doesn't add up to 18 though.... some of the years will coincide of course. But it takes lots of time and lots of planning to get things together. But it is of great help that other parents are helping out as well. And a couple of friends will have our other kids over at their place that night, which makes it a lot easier. The food alone is a big one, plus all the dishes and stuff afterwards. Luckily we have a quite large kitchen and two dishwashers. Even on a daily basis it gets of lot of cooking and a lot of dishes with nine kids in the house.

Yep, it's a pool forum but things hang together so why not widen the discussions like this apart from the pool issues themselves. The pool is a very important part of this event and that one needs to be working very well for it to function, but it's by no means the only issue. I think the pool is now pretty much under control. We have only a temporary fix for the pump problem, but it works ok, just that we need to check it every day to see that it's not getting a bigger problem. It's a bit late to make any modfications at this time. We'll be running the pool in full auto mode for the event - meaning auto clorination, auto pH, auto level control and temperature control all on. That way we can look after all the other matters better. We don't have an auto backwash system though, so we'll make sure it's well backwashed before we start, then maybe check at some point whether any extra beackwash is needed. We were talking of leaving the auto level off, as it would be fun to know how much water they'll carry out of the pool during this one, but it's safer to leave it on, not to risk that the level falls below the skimmer. There is a bottom drain as well so the pump won't run dry, but the circulation would be reduced if the skimmer isn't working any more. We'll keep it really warm, both in the water and in the room and run all ventilation on full speed of course. With a room full of wet kids it will be needed !

It's getting close.... but ost things are under control I think. I was thinking of the test I made wth the different strips of material. Only the black velvet one dyed off, but it did it pretty heavily. Now, such dye, is that a problem to the pool ? Or will the dilution be such that it's not noticable in case that anyone is wearing something like that ? I guess garment dye is not in the form of particles, so the filter would not trap it, but I guess most likely the chlorine would take care of it after a while ?

This weekend we're getting together here for practical preparations like decorations and lights. We'll be very strict on how lights and similar can be mounted, as we have to be prepared for that we'll have a lot of wet kids and there should be absolutely no doubt about maintaining full electrical safety. That means that anywhere near the pool it will be 12 V lights only and for the rest all lights should be put close to the ceiling so that it is out of reach.

The girls will have another round of practicing tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be all set after that. I think they've also planned all details for what to wear and so. Which is better than myself... I've been too busy with all this to even pick what dress I'll be wearing ! :)

Linn, I thought of something.....do you have a safety hook? Life saving rings?

Can you turn the main drain off? I just thought of the dresses being sucked down onto the main drain.

Kim :cat:

Hi !

Yes we do have a hook, but not the kind of rings you see at public pools, just the inflatable rings that the kids use. But since our pool is not that deep it's quite safe as far as lifesaving goes - at least most of the guys will be able to stand in it.

as for the drain. I'm not quite sure what is the best thing to do. Thanks for bringing that up, I hadn't thought about it. Our pool has three drains: the skimmer plus two bottom drains, though they're not in the bottom itself, they're on the pool wall next to the bottom. The two bottom drains are connected by a 4" pipe. There is a separate valve to shut the bottom ones off, though that will somewhat reduce the total flow and thus reduce the filtering. An option could maybe be to close that one a little, to just reduce the flow and limit the suction but not cut it completely. The idea with the two drains is off course that there should be no danger of closing them both with your body and thus getting stuck, but if someone would indded land on the drains with a big dress there could maybe, maybe be a risk, though with the skimmer line open it should be very hard to really get stuck even then. But I think I wil turn off the jet-stream pump (at the pump, not with the remote), that one could maybe be a risk if they would use it. You hardly need it for this anyhow.

We'll get some of the preparations fixed today, but the biggest job is in preparing all the food and snacks. Luckily we're a number of parents to share that one.

I've tried on some of my dresses... but still ot decided on which one to pick. I've got a silver dress that is ok to walk in though a little tight at the skirt, a deep purple silk one that is a bit wider but a bit harder to move around in if there's lots of people, the black velvet one which is the most comfy one (esp. as the shoes that go with that one are just less than 3", which is low for me when it comes to party shoes), but if it dyes off a lot it might be a problem for the pool. I've a few more but I haven't had the time to try them yet.

We're planning on having breakfast for all the kids outside. We'll see how many that will last the night ! We've prepared a rest area as well for those who want to rest or sleep for a while. We'll xhexk the garden just before the event too, to see that there are no snakes, skunks or other unwelcome visitors. Once the party get started I think that the noise itself will keep all such ones out !

If you're willing, could you turn one of the dresses into a corset on top with a modesty panel? Just takes some small holes being cut on the seams and a nice wide satin ribbon to lace up the back and tie in a bow.

Approx 38k gal
Sand filter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.