DuckPond

Jul 1, 2022
Richmond, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This year I had a wonderful idea that maybe I would swap out the hoses for PVC. Looks good, no? I mostly one of the shut off valves and the new skimmer replacing all the hoses added benefit.
408DD59E-74F2-485E-8BA6-8FD9E33C2160.jpeg
I did this while my ag pool had no water in it. Once I got everything watertight now everything else situated with the pool, I started to put water in it. It seemed like a totally valid next step, right? Except, I failed to think about one factor
011B578C-2435-41A3-AC63-D10FEF032D1B.jpeg
As you fill this pool, the side walls expand. It’s not easy to tell right here but the two pipes on the right, they are pushing on the pool. Here’s an inside view. But first, please ignore the gross mess of my pool. It is a work in progress. First up, will be figuring out how I am going to get the PVC contraption off the pool.
D497957A-D33E-41B9-8512-5FE99BADB4A7.jpeg
Oh and, good morning 👋🏻 I got up early to start filling more water (from well) and that’s currently on hold. I think I’ll be asking Spouse if they have any god ideas on how I can get this out with letting out any water

Edit: The pipes are off. Spouse was a big help. After trying a few things, they push the pool in with there foot and then pulled the pipes. I hadn’t even thought to try that. Anyway, problem solved and progress shall continue.

C80D1E0E-17C5-4FB2-A148-A9AB178B3B35.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Well done on putting in hard pipes and well done giving us a teaching moment-have pool full before gluing the pipes to allow for movement. You can always use a potato (say what???) as a return plug in an emergency. You might need to "shave" them down to fit but it works in a pinch. Now go order some "real plugs" for the next time you need them. Of course once you have them you will not need them :roll: LOL

• Haha
Reactions: DuckPond
Well done on putting in hard pipes and well done giving us a teaching moment-have pool full before gluing the pipes to allow for movement. You can always use a potato (say what???) as a return plug in an emergency. You might need to "shave" them down to fit but it works in a pinch. Now go order some "real plugs" for the next time you need them. Of course once you have them you will not need them :roll: LOL
Thankfully the water level was still below the inlets. So, there was no potato shaving required. That kinda sucks though. Dinner could’ve been half ready.

I’m also happy to report the gluing wasn’t an issue here. The pipes that go in the inlets are held by hose clamps. We just pushed the pool in with our feet and pulled on the pipes. Glad I noticed this when water was still below knee level.

Reactions: kimkats
Last year, I posted 'Prematurely Hardeneded Hose Setup'. Turns out, much of the work done was unnecessary. All of the stuff connected to the pool’s original outlets was totally unnecessary and I kept that ball valve closed the whole season. Not a big deal, I’ve learned. In the end, all I really needed was to connect the skimmer to the pump.

So, here I am trying to open my pool for the season and my ball valve is busted. And now I’m real unsure where to go with this.

I have this setup where everything has been bonded. So, um, am I going to have to replace my skimmer?

I’m open to any and all feedback. I know there were easier ways to get this plumbed but I’m very clearly not a pro and 🤷🏼

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 13
Last year, I posted 'Prematurely Hardeneded Hose Setup'. Turns out, much of the work done was unnecessary. All of the stuff connected to the pool’s original outlets was totally unnecessary and I kept that ball valve closed the whole season. Not a big deal, I’ve learned. In the end, all I really needed was to connect the skimmer to the pump.

So, here I am trying to open my pool for the season and my ball valve is busted. And now I’m real unsure where to go with this.

I have this setup where everything has been bonded. So, um, am I going to have to replace my skimmer?

I’m open to any and all feedback. I know there were easier ways to get this plumbed but I’m very clearly not a pro and 🤷🏼
Valve is cracked, not the skimmer, according to the picture. Replace it. Easy repair, especially with those unions on the hoses at the bottom of that assembly.

Valve is cracked, not the skimmer, according to the picture. Replace it. Easy repair, especially with those unions on the hoses at the bottom of that assembly.

Well, that’s what I wanted to hear and I’m thrilled. Though, I’m entirely unsure how to go about replacing the valve. As far as I knew, bonding the pvc pieces together was a rather permanent thing. Are you saying I should be able to somehow take the ball valve out and replace it? That would be awesome 🤩

My initial thought to replace the skimmer was because all of the pvc has been cemented. I don’t exactly have a lot of extra pipe in this setup. If I did, I would just cut the valve out and fit a new valve in. Maybe in the end of this I’ll have a much cleaner looking setup. Would be nice to not have a bunch of adapters

Are you saying I should be able to somehow take the ball valve out and replace it?
Yes. After you block the pool wall ports to prevent water from flowing out, you should be able to remove the two flex hose connections at the bottom of that pipe from the skimmer. Once those two flex hose connections are disconnected, it looks like you should be able to unscrew the entire vertical pipe from beneath the skimmer where it is threaded together (just above the valve). Then you can get some new PVC pipe, and new ball valve, and reassemble in reverse order.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. After you block the pool wall ports to prevent water from flowing out, you should be able to remove the two flex hose connections at the bottom of that pipe from the skimmer. Once those two flex hose connections are disconnected, it looks like you should be able to unscrew the entire vertical pipe from beneath the skimmer where it is threaded together (just above the valve). Then you can get some new PVC pipe, and new ball valve, and reassemble in reverse order.

You’re right on that. I’ve already removed the pipes from the wall ports. And I’ve been disconnected from the pump. https://www.troublefreepool.com/attachments/fullsizerender-jpeg.568846/

On the chance it was as easy as just unscrewing this contraption from the skimmer, I tried. It seems I did I sufficient job bonding that gray piece, at the top, to the skimmer. I even managed to do it so cleanly that I was skeptical until I saw a little blue drip in one spot.

From here, I guess it’s possible to take a hacksaw to the gray piece. Then I could use the threads on the outside of the skimmer outlet. What do you think?